PDA

View Full Version : instrument fiasco

vandermeter
03-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Shucks...Just when things are going good. Have been enjoying this '73 88 as a fair daily run about. On the highway cruising at 60-65mph, on my way to Cabellas' when the speedo bites the dust..

Have had the instrument panel off twice before, once to fix the washer switch, then of course once an hour later to reconnect the speedo cable.
royal pain in the axe(do you just pull the steering wheel, and with what type of puller?).

Pulled the panel today and it appears that the tapered end of the cable male end that comes from the back of the speedo, has broken off into the speedo cables female receiver..

Can you order that as a part? Do you just get a new speedo? :confused:

This is a clean low mile dash- under 23,000 miles...nice glass and everything is intact(well not the cable end).

Running the origonal 15's was thinking of going to 16's this spring/summer.

Any ideas, help would be appreciated, yours in Brittankia:D

Bren

Aztec Rover
03-28-2008, 02:14 PM
To pull the steering wheel just fold down the tabs on the locking plate and then loosen the nut so that its flush with the top of the threads on the steering column. Sit in the seat with your knees pushing up against the steering wheel, pull the top of the wheel up with your hand and using a plastic mallet give the nut a sharp blow. The steering wheel should come loose without the need for a puller. Remember don't overdo it with the mallet and with the nut being flush with the threaded steering column it should prevent damage to the threads.

I have been removing steering wheels in this way for over 20 years with no damage.
:thumb-up:

Tim Smith
03-28-2008, 02:30 PM
...I have been removing steering wheels in this way for over 20 years with no damage...
Finally, now we know who the steering wheel thief has been for all these years.
:p

vandermeter
04-02-2008, 10:35 PM
Sounds like a good way to pull a wheel...thanks, but have ya heard of speedo cables fraying apart right behind the gauge?

Bostonian1976
04-03-2008, 08:52 AM
To pull the steering wheel just fold down the tabs on the locking plate and then loosen the nut so that its flush with the top of the threads on the steering column. Sit in the seat with your knees pushing up against the steering wheel, pull the top of the wheel up with your hand and using a plastic mallet give the nut a sharp blow. The steering wheel should come loose without the need for a puller. Remember don't overdo it with the mallet and with the nut being flush with the threaded steering column it should prevent damage to the threads.

I have been removing steering wheels in this way for over 20 years with no damage.
:thumb-up:

pull the steering wheel for a broken speedo cable? Am I missing something? :confused:

Incidentally I found an easier way to pull my steering wheel when I first got my truck - it came off in my hands when I pulled myself into the truck one day. Guess the PO forgot to tighten that nut enough....

S11A
04-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Yes, I have heard of the speedometer cable breaking there. I have also heard of it breaking off inside of the housing, which is supposed to be a pain to get out...

LaneRover
04-03-2008, 11:08 AM
pull the steering wheel for a broken speedo cable? Am I missing something?

Well, none of your trucks would need to have the steering wheel pulled. And you may not need to pull it to remove a series III dash but to be honest I am not sure of that. Pulling it may just make the job easier.

Brent

singingcamel
04-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Youxwill not have to pull the steering wheel to work on the speedo
You will need to get a new cable , save the large washer.

Terrys
04-03-2008, 11:48 AM
pull the steering wheel for a broken speedo cable? Am I missing something? :confused:

My thoughts, exactly.

daveb
04-03-2008, 12:47 PM
speedo cable is male both ends. goes into a square hole in the back of the speedo.

Pulled the panel today and it appears that the tapered end of the cable male end that comes from the back of the speedo, has broken off into the speedo cables female receiver..

Les Parker
04-03-2008, 02:34 PM
I see the sense in taking the steering wheel off, access to the guages/speedo is certainly easier, especially if you suffer from BHS (big hands syndrome).
Loosen the cable from the clip on the support by the steering coloumn in the engine bay to allow more length of the cable to be pulled into the interior of the veh.
Hope this helps.

Daurie
04-03-2008, 04:31 PM
I definately pull the steering wheel off when I do anything that will require removing the gauge panel on my Series 3. It makes things so much easier and it takes about 30 seconds to pull off.

When I first got this truck I was chasing an electrical issue (imagine that!) and had the panel off so often that the center cap now resides in my toolbox! :rolleyes:

vandermeter
04-03-2008, 07:47 PM
oops, know you're right,male and male... gues the square end is down inside the dash somewhere.. I'll order a new cable.

Momo
04-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Daurie
...it came off in my hands when I pulled myself into the truck one day. Guess the PO forgot to tighten that nut enough....

Coulda been worse...at least you weren't driving it!

vandermeter
04-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Thanks a million guys, and of course,Yes, you're of course right -pulled the missing cable end out of the dash assembly...male square end.:rolleyes:

Just seems next to impossible to get the instrument cluster back into position behind the steering wheel without an ...instrument light pulling out of it's clip, or a wire connector coming loose, or the speedo cable(prior to it surrendering it's life)coming out of the speedometer gauge itself...@#!!!%^$&*(!!??.:confused:

You seem to have about a quarter of an inch of wiggle room..is all. I will wiggle on in silence my brothers.;)