PDA

View Full Version : Is there a gasket on the exhaust pipe from the manifold

VTRover
03-30-2008, 04:43 PM
to the exhaust down pipe? I've got a "putt-putting" sound coming from where the manifold meets the downpipe. Is there a gasket or does it just need torqued? Can't seem to find any reference to a gasket on line.

Thanks!

gambrinus
03-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Three studs, no gasket. The studs and the nuts will get rusty and gunked up from the heat. Use caution when tightening them up so that you don't snap anything.

RW

LaneRover
03-30-2008, 05:44 PM
But isn't there a steel 'donut' that kind of acts gasket like or something like that?

Brent

greenmeanie
03-30-2008, 10:44 PM
No donut, no gasket. It is a metal to metal joint formed by the male and female ends of the exhaust pipe. If you want to try for better sealing then first make sure the stud threads are in good condition so you can apply even torque to each nut and then apply one of those topical exhaust sealing goops to the mating surfaces.

Cheers
Gregor

thixon
03-31-2008, 08:48 AM
But isn't there a steel 'donut' that kind of acts gasket like or something like that?

Brent

The "doughnut" isn't found on alot of older brit cars. As Greenmeanie said, clean everything up. Use a wire wheel (to clean off rust), and even think about replacing the studs, and nuts.

Tim Smith
03-31-2008, 08:52 AM
The "doughnut" isn't found on alot of older brit cars. As Greenmeanie said, clean everything up. Use a wire wheel (to clean off rust), and even think about replacing the studs, and nuts.
And soak them with penetrating oil before hand. :thumb-up:

daveb
03-31-2008, 11:41 AM
heat, lots and lots of heat. get em glowing nice and red and they *will* come undone.

And soak them with penetrating oil before hand. :thumb-up:

Terrys
03-31-2008, 11:51 AM
The "gasket" you're refering to inbetween manifolds and pipes is called an 'olive', I guess cuz it's shaped like one, with a hole in it, minus pimento.
Seems like the common practice of using brass nuts on exhaust system has diead away, but I know the autoparts stores still carry them, since I just replaced the studs and nuts on one of mine. The nut will strip before the stud breaks.

gudjeon
03-31-2008, 12:50 PM
I have found that many exhaust shops that make up an entire exhaust system will use the "doughnut/olive". These can be problematic to get a seal that will last. The original replacement style has a type of flare seat to fit into the manifold. Over time, rust can build up on the manifold where it seats and cause leaking.
I use a dremel with a stone to clean it up inside so it is clean metal again. Muffler cement and careful alignment upon installation has ensured years of a leak free system on my rigs. This of course can be subject to change upon high centering on a log.:rolleyes: