PDA

View Full Version : Dead sensor help

ducttape
03-30-2008, 05:19 PM
My gas gauge and temp gauge are now dead to the world. Worked yesterday.

The gas gauge has always been dead for the second gas tank. I think it measures just the drivers, and goes to zero when I switch to number 2.

All four fuses under the dash are good. Any ideas? Did I sleep walk and take the dash apart and not reconnect the wires? If I raise the hood will I find the electrocuted chipmunk with his mouth around the wire?

While both are viewed by me as an 'educated aproximation', at best, it's still reassuring to see electrical things working.

Ex MOD 109, titled 1967 (but I think it's a later model year) Series IIA, but I'm SURE it is a Series III.

Thx for your help!

David

greenmeanie
03-30-2008, 05:43 PM
My bet is a dead voltage regulator. It's the common supply point for both these gauges.

Gregor

ducttape
03-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Thx Gregor. Could you narrow that down as in, where would I find it?

greenmeanie
03-30-2008, 10:41 PM
I would look for something on the back of the gauge cluster or attached to the bulkhead in the void behind the gauge. It is a small stamped matal housing with four spade terminals. 2 male and 2 feamale. It should have a green wire feeding power in and then IIRC a light green wire going to each gauge.

Look to give it a 12V supply and read 10V coming out.

Cheers
Gregor

singingcamel
03-31-2008, 09:30 AM
I would have a look at the hot wire going to the voltage stabilizer as mentioned above .Its behind the dash plate.little square box

xsbowes
03-31-2008, 12:25 PM
Looks like this.

http://www.roverparts.com/product/img/Icn/5985.jpg

Stacy
72 SIII LTWT
http://www.picturetrail.com/xsbowes

Terrys
03-31-2008, 12:34 PM
On a series 3 it will be screwed to the back of the speedo.
Your second gas guage not working is the (appropriate) toggle switch on the fuel tank selector valve. It will have two spst toggle switches, whose levers are manipulated by the valve stem. Very quaint, albeit archaic, Britsh engineering.

Les Parker
03-31-2008, 04:45 PM
Could be the supply wire from the harness to the volt stabilizer.
Lack of power to the RH tank could be a bad/disconnected wire from the transmitter to the switch or the switch itself.
Easy enough to make a jumper wire to see if all is well with either of these components.
:thumb-up: