PDA

View Full Version : Combo ignition switch troubles

east high
03-31-2008, 02:55 PM
I decided to do away with the separate 'farmer special' ignition and headlamp switches and replace them with the original combo switch. Based on my comparison to the schematics I'm pretty sure my '67 rover had a positive earth system at one point, but was converted to negative before I bought it.

Here's my problem. My rover started and ran like a champ before I wired in the new switch. Now with the combo switch, none of the lights work and you can activate the starter without the key. This would suck if it actually started, but it never catches which leads me believe it's not getting spark either.

Can anyone advise? I followed the schematics, but there isn't a lot of info in the book about those switches.

LaneRover
03-31-2008, 04:05 PM
On my '65 you can push in the starter button without the ignition on and the starter will turn but it won't catch.

On my 69 ex-mil if the ignition is off the starter won't spin UNLESS I have a hot wire from the battery to the coil. Then it will turn the starter AND catch. Which is helpful if you forget your keys in another city.

As for the lights, I would definitely check your grounds and check to see if the PO REALLY changed stuff around.

Brent

east high
03-31-2008, 04:37 PM
On my '65 you can push in the starter button without the ignition on and the starter will turn but it won't catch.

Is this normal?

yorker
03-31-2008, 05:18 PM
Is this normal?

Yes- the ignition system is separate from the starter system- it is exactly like if you were to turn the key on a modern car but not as far as where the engine cranks over.

LaneRover
03-31-2008, 07:16 PM
Is this normal?

Yes, the key turns on the ignition circuit but has nothing to do with the starter itself. The starter button is always 'hot'.

On the 69 the starter won't turn unless the ignition is on. I think that your 67 would be the same as the 65 but I do not know that for sure.

Brent