PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on rebuilding 'breakfast'

Bostonian1976
04-01-2008, 10:05 AM
My restoration is going to start in small doses - has anyone attempted to weld their rusty breakfast back together? Mine is solid except for the very bottom. I think this type is harder to come by (the heater pulls from the front. Any advice/insight is appreciated....I'd like to pull it and start to work on it....

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2125/2379636159_69506c4d25_o.jpg

I Leak Oil
04-01-2008, 11:27 AM
If you're not in a rush you should look around for an inexpensive, decent replacement. If you have to pay someone to do it it will most likely be more expensive. Otherwise it shouldn't be too bad to fix depending on how far up the rust is.
Jason T.

Jim-ME
04-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Try this thread on the S2 forums. http://www.s2cforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=19160.0
He rebuilt his breakfast for his 109 and if I remember correctly there are pictures. I was very lucky as I got my replacement from John Gerding before he moved on to other things. You can also keep an eye out on Ebay UK as they appear on a fairly regular basis.
Jim

thixon
04-01-2008, 02:45 PM
can you weld? If so, piece of cake.

One question though. Is it rusted on the back side, bottom, inside (the section bent around the bottom)? If so, why not just sand blast it, glaze any pitting, and paint it. If there is metal missing on the bottom backside, who cares, you cant see it.

I did this on my old sIII. came out great, and no issues.

The only reason I brought this up is that it would be a SOB to cut out and remake the bottom of that thing exactly like it was. You'd be better off finding a replacement.

Bostonian1976
04-01-2008, 02:51 PM
can you weld? If so, piece of cake.

One question though. Is it rusted on the back side, bottom, inside (the section bent around the bottom)? If so, why not just sand blast it, glaze any pitting, and paint it. If there is metal missing on the bottom backside, who cares, you cant see it.

I did this on my old sIII. came out great, and no issues.

The only reason I brought this up is that it would be a SOB to cut out and remake the bottom of that thing exactly like it was. You'd be better off finding a replacement.

yeah unfortunately the very bottom strip has holes right through it....

thixon
04-01-2008, 03:02 PM
yeah unfortunately the very bottom strip has holes right through it....

Damn, that blows. It'll be a pain to replicate that slight curve in the bottom where the metal is folded back underneath (assuming you want it to look exactly right). I guess if it were me, I'd just look for a new one. Mine also has the intake up front, but it has a metal insert that pops into the hole on the bottom left to accomdate the heater duct. In other words, my breakfast is just a standard IIa breakfast, with that insert popped into the hole. Yours looks like it actually has a round hole on the bottem.

I got some wing skins to replace my old ones, but one has the duct hole in it. I was planning on just re-routing the ductwork. If you decide to just find a new breakfast, you're welcome to have the insert.

Bostonian1976
04-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Damn, that blows. It'll be a pain to replicate that slight curve in the bottom where the metal is folded back underneath (assuming you want it to look exactly right). I guess if it were me, I'd just look for a new one. Mine also has the intake up front, but it has a metal insert that pops into the hole on the bottom left to accomdate the heater duct. In other words, my breakfast is just a standard IIa breakfast, with that insert popped into the hole. Yours looks like it actually has a round hole on the bottem.

I got some wing skins to replace my old ones, but one has the duct hole in it. I was planning on just re-routing the ductwork. If you decide to just find a new breakfast, you're welcome to have the insert.

thanks a lot Travis! I appreciate it. I'm going to attempt to pull it this weekend (breaking through the rusty bolts alone is a tough job) and see what sort of shape I'm dealing with....I'll post up some pictures...

thixon
04-01-2008, 03:25 PM
thanks a lot Travis! I appreciate it. I'm going to attempt to pull it this weekend (breaking through the rusty bolts alone is a tough job) and see what sort of shape I'm dealing with....I'll post up some pictures...

No problem. The insert has some surface rust, but nothing a good beadblasting won't solve. If you decide you want it, just let me know.

Good luck with it.

Mojave Rover
04-01-2008, 10:04 PM
I am also interested in a radiator panel. I'll see the overall shape of mine following the dip, but I think a replacement is in order. My '68 has the same issues, holes on the bottom of the front lip. Definitely interested in your progress. Regarding the rusty bolts, I finally found great success with Freeze-Off. Found it in a local auto parts store. It works like a charm.

Ultimately, an email to Mr. Goss might be in order; although, don't take my future panel!

S11A
04-02-2008, 07:31 AM
I tried to find a link to a site that showed the fabrication of complete breakfasts from stainless steel, but couldn't. Even if you were not in the market for the complete piece, it had a series of photos of the process which might have been helpful. I think this might have been it, but it looks like he is no longer selling these, and took the photos down:

http://www.foroverforever.net/

Still, it might be worth emailing him to see if he would email the photos or has any advice...

Jim-ME
04-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Although I am not trying to gloat, I was fortunate enough to get one of John's breakfasts. It was a work of art. I will say that when I went to get it painted the body shop had a hard time getting paint to stick to it. Don't know what they finally did but it is on and the paint did stick.
Jim

thixon
04-02-2008, 09:30 AM
They either used an etching primer, or lightly media blasted it.

Bostonian1976
04-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Although I am not trying to gloat, I was fortunate enough to get one of John's breakfasts. It was a work of art. I will say that when I went to get it painted the body shop had a hard time getting paint to stick to it. Don't know what they finally did but it is on and the paint did stick.
Jim

hope they didn't sand it down :)

One4adventure
04-05-2008, 06:41 AM
I rewelded mine, no issues just need some patience, get a bunch of 1/16" plate steel and a piece of angle the same thickness, some creative work with a cutoff wheel in a grinder and voila!! I then went ahead and had it galvanized and then sealed primed and painted it. most of your repar is hidden behind the grill anyway so it need not be perfect.

east high
04-05-2008, 10:22 AM
There are couple breakfasts on eBay right now.