PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running pertronix in their Series?

VTRover
04-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Thinking about installing Pertronix in my positive ground 61 Series II. Does anyone run this setup? Like it? Hate it?

Linus Tremaine
04-05-2008, 07:48 PM
I belive you will have to convert to negative earth to run the pertronix. I recall my instructions said that.. unless they make one special for you?

I have one in both my mercury comet, mercedes benz and had one in an International truck I used to have. I like them. Installations are easy.

daveb
04-05-2008, 09:08 PM
There is a positive earth version. I have installed both types. Don't recall exactly how it is wired but there is an extra wire. + or - they are wonderful. I think I have heard some stories of failure but AFAIK mine is still working 10 years later. Great cure for a worn out distributor too. Put one in and don't look back.

I belive you will have to convert to negative earth to run the pertronix. I recall my instructions said that.. unless they make one special for you?

I have one in both my mercury comet, mercedes benz and had one in an International truck I used to have. I like them. Installations are easy.

jac04
04-05-2008, 09:52 PM
I ran one in my 63 that was converted to negative ground. It worked flawlessly for many years, and continues to do so for the person that bought it. I also run the Pertronix in my 68 Camaro.

Now, I have heard reports of failures of the Pertronix modules from the Camaro crowd. It is my understanding that some modules fail rather quickly, but if they don't fail quickly they will last almost forever. Still, I will be buying a spare Pertronix set-up for the Camaro just in case.

Momo
04-05-2008, 11:57 PM
If you do have a Pertronix keep a spare set of points too. Some Pertronix units are crap right out of the box so your spare might be one of those.

greenmeanie
04-06-2008, 12:43 AM
If you do have a Pertronix keep a spare set of points too. Some Pertronix units are crap right out of the box so your spare might be one of those.

In engineering terms reliability has what is called the bathtub curve. It has a high spike at the very beginning and then drops down to a flat bottom for a considerable time and then spikes back up.

The initial spike is due to infant mortality which is caused by bad manufacturing i.e the factory did something wrong and it was never really going to work. The flat bottom is the normal reliability range where most units are meeting their designed life and reliability but a certain small percentage may fail for a varirety of reasons but is deemed acceptable. This really describes the expected reliability of the unit. The spike at the far end is mortality due to parts wearing out and is the real indicator of the expected life of the design. For more info look up six sigma and relaibility.

Most electronic devices follow the reliability pattern described above. If you fit a Pertronix and it survives the first oil change interval you can pretty much forget it for the life of the truck.

Cheers
Gregor

jac04
04-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Momo has a very valid point. My intention for the Pertronix spare was to run the original unit to get past the "initial spike", then install the spare. That way, you know that your spare is good.

VTRover
04-06-2008, 04:00 PM
http://www.classicgarage.com/119.html

Cheap too!

darbysrgrs
04-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Has anyone seen a walk-thru of this procedure on the internet? I am looking to do the same thing to my 64 IIa, but would like a little instruction to overcome my engineering deficit.

Winston-Rover
04-07-2008, 09:42 AM
I found that carshopinc.com has the cheapest prices on Pertronix ignitions:
http://www.carshopinc.com/index.php/cPath/21_24_22/page/3
$75.95 for the positive earth unit

singingcamel
04-07-2008, 01:08 PM
If anyone knows the part #s i have 2 sets i would make a good deal on
cleaning a area in the shop and found two of them. I know there for a series vehicle but I have two different boxes and 2 different part #'s

cscutt
04-08-2008, 11:48 PM
Hello, Petronix has a complete distributor billet with the module already built into it. I bought one in november 07 and also got the flamethrower coil for it. The coil was broke, so I got it replaced with a new one, and it will really make a difference in the engine performance.....no it will not become a dragster, but you will notice the change. For the complete distro and coil it cost $212 total for 2.25L Petrol setup. If you have problems or questions with it, the folks at Pertronics are top notch and will guide you through it.