PDA

View Full Version : replacing window plastic on soft top ? where to get plastic ?

autoguy
04-06-2008, 12:45 AM
well got ludwig running so now it is time to touch up some cosmetic parts on him, mainly the plastic windows that are tinted with age, i have tried cleaning them but they almost look burnt slightly, i figure i will replace the windows so

where can i buy replacement plastic/clear vinyl for the windows ? preferably in the USA :)

i have not tried cleaning the plastic/vinyl with bleach yet but that is on tomorrows agenda :)

i would prefer to do the replacement job myself instead of taking the top to a boat shop :)

sven
04-06-2008, 07:56 AM
Ive had good luck with Meguiers Plastic Cleaner. Its used for plastic headlights and convertible windows. It tuned my green windows to clear. Have you tryed something like that?

Eric W S
04-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Paint clay systems work very well too. You might even be able to use a very fine polish and a random orbital sander to liven them up as well. I have seen the late method done with success on a friends old t-bird top.

leafsprung
04-06-2008, 09:37 AM
any good auto upolstry shop will have vinyl window material in a variety of gauges (or can get it). There are many brands, styles, tints etc. What you use is up to you.

autoguy
04-06-2008, 01:34 PM
I have tried some armoral and that helped the passenger window a bit where it was still clear, but the windows need replaced, they look sun burnt and the rear window is cracked, I will post Picts of the windows late this evening :)

LS, thanks I will call around to some of the car and boat upolstry shops tommorow :)

EASTTNROVER
04-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Ive had good luck with Meguiers Plastic Cleaner. Its used for plastic headlights and convertible windows. It tuned my green windows to clear. Have you tryed something like that?

Will it work on getting the haze out? mine are getting hard to see out of.

Alacrity
04-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Will it work on getting the haze out? mine are getting hard to see out of.

Meguiar's Plastic Polish on heavily scratched stuff - dont use paper towels. Good 100% cotton, 100% cotton T shirt or known good microfiber (not cheap walmart) towels. Vinyl is soft and it takes very little to scratch it up. Ive heard good things about Renovo Plastic Window Polish and Zymol as well.

Plexus work as a good every wash polish/cleaner.

Of course we're talking Rovers here - not like we're detail oriented - but it beats buying

autoguy
04-06-2008, 11:32 PM
picts of the windows :)

the rear window
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i198/autoguy5/IMG_0082.jpg?t=1207542457

one of the side windows, i did not take a pict of the passenger side window, it started raining harder
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i198/autoguy5/IMG_0081.jpg?t=1207542457

sven
04-07-2008, 09:40 AM
The Meguiers stuff should work on your side windows...mine looked like that too. Your rear window might need more luvin :p

autoguy
04-07-2008, 12:52 PM
The Meguiers stuff should work on your side windows...mine looked like that too. Your rear window might need more luvin :p

i will give it a try :)

Enigma
04-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Another option is to take it to someone that does/upholsters marine tops as they have plastic windows.

Cheers

Tim Smith
04-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Dude, the weather is starting to warm up. Just roll up the sides and back. :p

What? Not the answer you were looking for? :D

txeagle
04-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Try these folks:

http://www.yourautotrim.com/

They seem to have a pretty good line up of materials.

Ben

autoguy
04-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Dude, the weather is starting to warm up. Just roll up the sides and back. :p

What? Not the answer you were looking for? :D

lol :D tis fine for the summer time and is what i have been doing, but we get awful cold winters here, and i would prefer not to freeze my bits off :) figure i would fix them before it gets cold

txeagle, thanks for the link, i will order thru them if the maguiers window cleaner does not work :) we did not get around to getting the cleaner today, we mounted and wired my new kc hilite daylighter off road lights :) they look wicked mean too :D