PDA

View Full Version : Pedal Bracket Questions

Mojave Rover
04-07-2008, 12:16 AM
Any suggestions on refurbishing the brake and clutch pedal brackets? They are completely stripped down, but the retaining pin holding the shafts is not going to come loose in my lifetime. Is it advisable to chem wash the brackets with pedals in place? Or, should I just treat the rust and hope the internals are good to go? Clutch bracket cover pretty rusted and is a good candidate for a chem wash, had to drill off the screw heads. I'll retap the bracket screw holes. I'm thinking that the pins will be easier to deal with if the units are washed.

Going to Phoenix in two weeks to drop off bulkhead for bath.

Tim Smith
04-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Not real sure what you mean? Are you saying that the peddles won't come out of the bracket and you are wondering if the joints are good enough to just repaint and go again? If so, then I'd say yes.

The bracket isn't all that tough to remove once the truck is back together again. So if it does fail, then you're not talking about stripping half the truck to get the parts out again.

Besides, I've never known the peddle joints to fail.

Mojave Rover
04-08-2008, 01:48 PM
The exterior is pretty rusty. The brackets are pretty solid. The pedals are solid. What is the best course of action to prevent further damage? Is this a situation for POR-15?

Tim Smith
04-08-2008, 04:07 PM
The exterior is pretty rusty. The brackets are pretty solid. The pedals are solid. What is the best course of action to prevent further damage? Is this a situation for POR-15?
Probably at least part of the reason that it's so rusty is because brake fluid is such a good paint stripper. What ever you choose to protect it, make sure that it will stand up to the brake fluid spills. I'm not sure but I think POR-15 is good for this.

Mercedesrover
04-08-2008, 08:07 PM
POR 15 doesn't hold up to brake fluid. Not for a minute. In my opinion it's one of the most over-rated paints out there and I don't bother with it anymore.

Blast the pedal boxes best you can in a blast-cabinet and paint with a catalyzed rust inhibitive paint like SEM Rust-Shield. No need to pull the pedals out of the boxes. All that internal stuff is inside the truck and out of harm's way.

jim

Momo
04-08-2008, 11:51 PM
Jim, aside from brake fluid solvency, what problems have you had with POR 15? My 11 year old POR 15 chassis repaint is still looking great. The only place it failed was peeling at the left front rail under the steering box, and that was due to incomplete cleaning of oil residue.

In fact I even put it on the fuel tank, which was shiny, and it didn't have enough tooth for the POR, so it left fisheyes. But after several coats it looked fine.

I just got some more POR 15 for my new 88 project- personally I love the stuff. It has great coverage ability and it goes on thin enough to lay down without brush marks remaining.