PDA

View Full Version : 92 Rover, swapping out ABS?

Scout735
04-07-2008, 12:19 AM
I have a new to me 1992 Rover, just got it running and the ABS pump makes a horrible whine and runs constanly, ABS light is also on. I have a 89 Rover parts car, anyone swapped the brake systems on these over to get rid of the ABS. Mine has a leak somwhere and from what I read it might be the non-return valve for the pump, if so the pump needs replaced at big $$$$. Just wondering how involved swapping the master cylinder and brake cylinder over is, and what other items I might need.

Thanks!

daveb
04-07-2008, 10:25 AM
just finished doing the same thing on my 91.

best bet is to pull all the hard lines and everything if it isn't too corroded to do so.

I ended up using the 91's lines and I had to add a few segments near the m/c to make them reach. make sure you use the proportioning valve that should be located on the RH inner fender of the older unit. or take the one off the ABS M/C. big cylindrical thing on top.

the rear brakes on the ABS system are split side to side so you need to join them back together and put them on the same circuit. I just used the rear axle t off the old non-abs car and abandoned one of the old metal lines (broken anyway).

be prepared to use lots of heat to undo lines without breaking them.

you need the entire pedal assembly and the plate that it bolts through as well. if the acceleratort cable doesn't match the new pedal then you'll have to change that over as well. you'll see what I mean you compare the two.

btw when the abs pump finally shorts out it can start a fire. mine decided to ground through the braided SS cable, could have been real exciting...

I have a new to me 1992 Rover, just got it running and the ABS pump makes a horrible whine and runs constanly, ABS light is also on. I have a 89 Rover parts car, anyone swapped the brake systems on these over to get rid of the ABS. Mine has a leak somwhere and from what I read it might be the non-return valve for the pump, if so the pump needs replaced at big $$$$. Just wondering how involved swapping the master cylinder and brake cylinder over is, and what other items I might need.

Thanks!

Fitzhugh
05-06-2008, 10:01 PM
I have a 92 range rover which had a run in with a stone wall. It now has the front axel from a 1987 Range Rover, and of course no ABS. The rear axle is original. Have I created a braking problem?

daveb
06-08-2008, 05:35 PM
you just won't have abs. as long as everything is plumbed properly etc then you should still have good brakes.

I have a 92 range rover which had a run in with a stone wall. It now has the front axel from a 1987 Range Rover, and of course no ABS. The rear axle is original. Have I created a braking problem?

ptschram
06-09-2008, 10:13 AM

Yes and no. The '87 calipers will not have provisions for the dual circuit calipers found on ABS rigs. You could conceivable retrofit the stub axles, rotor and calipers from the ABS truck to the non-ABS axle but you may run into issues with the drive flange/axle not being long enough to fully engage the '87 CV joint, if they did not use the same CV joint arrangement.

Why did you swap axle housings?

Fitzhugh
06-12-2008, 09:44 PM
I had to swap the axle housings because the stone wall put a hole in the differential housing. I did manage to retrofit the brakes from the ABS truck to the 1987 axle. If I toggle the ignition enough times I can energize the ABS pump and have responsive brakes for a while, but eventually they become weak again.

ptschram
06-17-2008, 09:32 AM
Sounds like you probably need an accumulator and perhaps an ABS pump as well.

Fitzhugh
06-26-2008, 10:10 PM
I cleaned up the ground for the ABS pump. So far, problem solved.

Scout735
06-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Well I did it, Range Rover now has power brakes no more ABS! I love it, took me most of a day to do the swap, only question I have is what I need to do to get the ABS and Brake light to stay off. They are on constantly now.

Thanks for all your help!

daveb
07-01-2008, 09:16 AM
I pulled out the instrument cluster and removed the wire for the ABS light from the plug on the back of the cluster. I think it was black wiuth a grey tracer but don't quote me on that. That info is in the electrical diagrams in the owners manual. Brake light I think will go off when you pull all the abs relays and fuses from under the driver's seat.

Well I did it, Range Rover now has power brakes no more ABS! I love it, took me most of a day to do the swap, only question I have is what I need to do to get the ABS and Brake light to stay off. They are on constantly now.

Thanks for all your help!