PDA

View Full Version : Transfer case selector linkage.

phatality
04-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Hello all,

This weekend, with the nice weather and all, I decided to figure out why my 93 RRC will not go into low range. After fiddling with the knob and crawling around underneith a bit with a flashlight, I found out that the bar connecting the high/low lever to the lever on the transfer case has snapped. :eek:

Fortunately, the good news is, that the transfer case will go in and out of low/high range fairly easy by moving the lever on the transfer case.

The problem I am still having is, removing the broken shaft to install a new one. Now, I can barely touch this thing from several angles with my finger tips. Unfortunatly none of them give me a lot of force to try and get this thing loose. This thing is obviously rusted over pretty good. I did manage to get the little clip off, and soak it in penetrating oil, but that is about it.

I was wondering if anybody else has experienced the same or similar problem?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

57loboy
04-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Easiest way is to remove the center console - you can reach through with a wrench from the top once the bellows is removed.

phatality
04-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Thank you 57lobby, removing the center console got me plenty of access to remove the rusty part.

Update for those with a similar problem, or are interested in how I spent my Sunday afternoon:

So, I spent the better part of the afternoon removing the center console. This is not something I would recomend doing for fun. Threre is a lot of wiring and something called the window lift ECU.

Do not attempt to take out the 2 bolts holding the center console in place. Only loosen them enough to slide the piece out from under them. The plastic piece does not fit over the parking break well, but with a little patience and creativity, you can get it off over the handle without breaking it.

There are a slew of rivets holding a piece of plastic over the hole which had to be drilled out. Also a metal ring that gets easily deformed if you are not patient when trying to remove it.

Once at the linkage, the front came out easily while the rear I had to grind down for well over an hour with a dremmel tool until it would come loose (It's the best I could come up with).

Anyway it is now all apart. Reassembly will happen soon.

Again, thank you 57lobby for the tip.