PDA

View Full Version : Identifying 16" Wheels

Hormel
04-08-2008, 01:30 AM
All,
I have recently traded from my old 215s up to 235 85’s by purchasing a set of tires already on LandRover wheels. I was told that the rims were “military since they were 16” diameter”, this I ignored knowing that the the long wheel bases also came with 16” rims. Now that I have them mounted on my 109 I can see that the offset is different at about 2” instead of the 1" on the original wheels (272309 5.5” LWB). I do like the look of the new wheel and tires and it may have knocked a foot off my gigantic turning radius. (at least in my mind)

Now here is the rub: I only have 5 of these wheels and would like to find a 6th to match for the 2nd spare. They are all marked F.V.607510 on the outside and I have been unable to figure out where or what these wheels came from. I have heard: Defender, Fighting Vehicle (FV), Series Three, One Ton. On the photo of the rim with the larger offset there is a bit of green paint below the limestone that may indicate a military history. One of the rims is newer with a blue underpaint and is marked with a LP964 on the inside. It may be simpler than it looks but does anyone know what these are from or what an equivalent would be?

As nice as the rusty patina is I am planning on sandblasting and spray painting. Rustoleum Enamel Almond Appliance Paint has been suggested as a similar match to limestone and easy to touch up. Anyone used this color before? Thanks, and I appreciate the help.

John

galen216
04-08-2008, 07:11 AM
I have used that color, looks perfect on a Series.

This is my old truck, the top and the wheels were painted with almond spray paint.

jp-
04-08-2008, 09:41 AM
I used ANR4636 wheels on my 88". They are 16" rims with a 2" spacing, and yes they do help the turning radius and the stability slightly. They look identical to the rims you have.

Tim Smith
04-08-2008, 02:10 PM
It looks like your lug nuts don't like the wider wheels as much as the skinny ones. Or was that a picture just before you took that wheel off?

Hormel
04-08-2008, 03:01 PM
galen216,
The almond spray job looks nice on that 88, glad to hear I am headed in the right direction. But it looks like you need a can of fire engine red for the RH corner.

JP,
thanks for that wheel number. I think i have narrowed it down to later series/early defender riveted wheels. None of the ones I have were running tubes although one wheel has a curious inner wrapper of duct tape! Found this handy diagram with that number:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/daveslandyandngstuff/wheels.htm

Tim Smith,
Unfortunately the nuts were tight so I am not getting much love from the studs. It did not seem as bad in person but looking at the pic now it has got me a little worried. I understand that this is a real issue with the wolf wheels that require longer studs to be put in.

John

galen216
04-09-2008, 09:03 AM
galen216,
The almond spray job looks nice on that 88, glad to hear I am headed in the right direction. But it looks like you need a can of fire engine red for the RH corner.
John

Yep, that is what happens when you run into trees.:nono: But I don't have to worry as it isn't my truck anymore.

As for the paint, it is Mack truck red. I figured what can be tougher than a Mack truck!

Hormel
05-12-2008, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the advice, thought I would add a followup. I ended up finding a matching 6th wheel through a forum member. After beating a couple of the rim edges in to submission I had them sandblasted which was a huge timesaver. I primed and added three coats of Gloss Rustoleum Almond and they are quite the treat!

I really like the setup, benefits may be negligible but in my mind they fill the wheelwell, seem to help my turning radius, and may give me a slight increase in top speed. Tires are 235/85/16r Cooper Discoverer Radial LT's with no tubes. I did not have any issues with the stud length and looking back at my original setup I found that I have a number of different length studs that do not go as far through the olive nut. (Another issue for another day)

This worked approach worked for me since I was able to buy the 5 wheels and tires and saved a few hundred in the end. If I had to do it again I would probably just go ahead and get the 16" x 5.5" wheels from with the equivalent 1 7/8" offset from our hosts.

Next step is to swap in a set of slightly used British Springs in the rear for the existing rusted set.. I am hoping that it will a least level it out a little since when it sits on a flat surface the galvanized capping drops about 2" from front to back.
John