PDA

View Full Version : URGENT HELP bypass heater core???

wjones1396
04-08-2008, 12:31 PM
URGENT HELP bypass heater core???

i have read about heater core troubles and costly time and moneyfixes. my core most likely went bad last night as fluid is all over floorboards, and keeps leaking when i fill up with fluid without motor running. Is it possible for my local garage buddy, if not ideal, to bypass the heater core, or cap the metal lines on top of engine (http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/#) that attatch to the hoses running down into and through the firewall??? any links, description, pics or advice on bypassing the heater core, since it's spring..., would be greatly appreciated!

thanks a ton in advance!

TigerDan
04-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Very simple to do. My '91 had the heater bypassed when I got it due to a leaking core.

If you look at the pass. side valve cover you will see two metal tubes running towards the back of the motor, one of them having a tee with a screw-in cap on the top. They have the heater core hoses connected to them about 2/3 of the way back, simply disconnect bpth hoses and run a new piece of hose in a loop from one metal tube back to the other. After you've tightened the hose clamps you need to remove the screw-in cap from the tee to bleed the air out of the system as you refill it.

And then start saving your pennies for an expensive heater core, and psych yourself up for what is a less than pleasant job to replace it. Took me about 4 hours to do mine.

wjones1396
04-09-2008, 05:37 PM
thanks guys, mission accomplished yesterday night wit a U hose, system burped, running cooler than before..