PDA

View Full Version : Trade 1967 Daimler Sovereign for your LR

Carrie_Bacon
04-08-2008, 11:16 PM
I seek a (don't laugh!) Series 1, 2 or 3 LR wth no rust and running well. Must be a standard shift! ...I have a 1967/8 Daimler Sovereign in Edinburough Green (silvery, light shade of green - rare color); with light blue Connolly hides, darker blue Wiltons. Odd color combination but apparently HRM Queen Elizabeth's personal color. Yes, it came from (I was told, no verification, though) Buckingham Palace.

"HRM" (as we named her) has 76K on the dial, is RHD. We have replaced the steering rack (THAT was pricey, had to have it rebuilt); all SIX struts and shock absorbers replaced; the carbeurators rebuilt; 4 NEW calipers and rotors (rear brakes are an inboard setup, like early XKE); electrics have been gone through (need one window switch and antenna); all new hoses, belts, cap, rotor, wires, plugs. 5 new radial tires; fresh alignment.

The engine is the same as the S1 XKE: 4.2L DOHC six cylinder, dual carbeurators, 3 speed Borg Warner automatic transmission; dual fuel tanks (boiled and solid); good dual exhaust system.

The exterior has a bend in the trunk deck lid, otherwise the body is good, as is the chrome. The paint needs to be freshened (I would blend to retain this lovely color); interior is fair (not torn but needs leather care). Rare car as only 2200 were made and interesting alleged provenance. Daimler was acquired by Jaguar in the early 1960's and the Daimler Sovereign was the test vehicle for the Jaguar XJ6 that was released in 1968. Very fast with very good, stable handling.

Okay, so WHY do I want to do this? Well, we've moved from CT to ME and have a dirt driveway, it's now mud season and after putting $6000 into it over the purchase price in the past year, it's time to have a more utilitarian vehicle. And I'm bored with it. I'll post some pictures in a day or two... I'd like to do a trade for your 109 but an 88 would be okay.

Carrie