PDA

View Full Version : Ruining the school bus drivers day

Tim Smith
04-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Yesterday while on my way to work, I got caught in the route 7 rush hour parking lot debacle. This is a big reconstruction and road widening project that has been going on for the last year or so in my neck of the woods. It's been crippling traffic for ages so this wasn't new. Time to sit back and have a sip of tea...

As I'm sat there looking around and enjoying the new spring air, identifying squeaks and rattles and day dreaming a little, I noticed a little kid looking at me from the back of the school bus that was in front. He must have been in 5th or 6th grade by the looks of it and probably just as bored as I was as we sat there waiting for the traffic to clear up.

I remember when I was that age and when things got slow, I'd start identifying cars from as far away as I could and perhaps imagine what it was like to go fast in them. I was little too...

So any ways, the little one made eye contact with me. I kind of smiled and the kid started a half-hearted wave in my direction. Giggling a bit, I wave back at him.

Well it was like a box of fire crackers went off inside the bus. Within seconds you could see the heads of about 10 or 15 kids bouncing up and down. All of them beaming from ear to ear. Hands waving franticly and faint voices of the children could be heard over the traffic.

It must have ruined that bus driver's morning.

When you're driving a slow, mostly ugly, clunky and definitely stinky 30+ year old truck around and little kids love it, you gotta be doing something right.

Just thought I'd share. :D

Cheers!

east high
04-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Great story. I see the same sort of thing when I'm out on my Vespa. But, from kids AND adults.

leafsprung
04-09-2008, 12:04 PM
On the few occasions I have ridden my girlfriends VNB, there has been more pointing and laughing than anything :)

Tim Smith
04-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Great story. I see the same sort of thing when I'm out on my Vespa. But, from kids AND adults.
My own VBB has been in pieces up in VT for the last 10 years. I'm afraid traffic is too hectic around these parts to consider that a safe ride any more. Although, it is fun.
:thumb-up:

east high
04-09-2008, 01:11 PM
The best responses come from the people you pass on the I-5. ;)

autoguy
04-09-2008, 01:13 PM
I get waves and strange looks when I ride my 1964 vespa GL, and people cover there ears when I fly past :) my scoot,s engine is modified and the exhaust is loud

when I went to test drive a series 2a rover that was for sale here in town we drove around the park and people where waving something fierce :)

JAy
04-09-2008, 01:29 PM
It must be a cult! I never realized there was this much cross over, I also ride scoots, I've got a 79 P200 kitted to hell and a 63 LI150, also kitted to hell.

I find it gets hard to discern what I'm driving, I wave at rovers when riding my scoots and wave at scoots when I'm driving my rover. Lots of confused looks.

Tim Smith
04-09-2008, 01:42 PM
It is my opinion that a very well equipped expedition Rover would have a Vespa strapped to the back. Although, I'm not sure which would break down first.
:p

east high
04-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Wow. I had no idea there were so many vintage Italian scooter fans on this board. I got into Rovers from a scooter friend, but assumed it was an isolated example.

I've got a kitted smallframe, stock '74 Rally 200, custom Rally 180 with hydraulic disc brake, '63 Li 150 Lambretta and a stock p200. Also just scooped up a 78 Garelli SS XL moped. :sly: I have too much stuff!

spechols
04-09-2008, 02:11 PM
You should try driving one with zebra strips or an old 56 BMW motorbike with a sidecar. Then put three beagle dogs in the sidecar and to go to vet. :eek:

galen216
04-09-2008, 02:25 PM
You should try driving one with zebra strips or an old 56 BMW motorbike with a sidecar. Then put three beagle dogs in the sidecar and to go to vet. :eek:

He forgot to mention he has little goggles for the beagles when they ride in the side car!

spechols
04-09-2008, 02:39 PM
He forgot to mention he has little goggles for the beagles when they ride in the side car!I tried that - but they think the goggles are chew toys. I truth, they think everything is a chew toy.

Paul Rossmann
04-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Yeah, the Vespa thing is weird. I know another Series owner here who has one. I've always wanted one, but would have to get rid of my old (1979) English sailboat...but thats another story

I did once go to school to pick up my son, who was in the 4th grade at the time. When I came out of the building there were no less than 11 kids in my Rover. Ten boys and one girl. The girl was behind the wheel and I found out later that the boys had been reluctant to climb in the truck. The little girl had just strode up, said "cool," and climbed right in.

I also understand that a day or so later there was a teacher memo circulated to remind the children not to get into "strange cars."

I am hoping that they meant "unfamiliar cars" and not passed judgement on the Series and tarnished those impressionable young minds!

TSR53
04-09-2008, 03:14 PM
You should try driving one with zebra strips or an old 56 BMW motorbike with a sidecar. Then put three beagle dogs in the sidecar and to go to vet.
I'd love to see a photo of the BMW sidecar with dogs!

jp-
04-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Wow. I had no idea there were so many vintage Italian scooter fans on this board. I got into Rovers from a scooter friend, but assumed it was an isolated example.

I've got a kitted smallframe, stock '74 Rally 200, custom Rally 180 with hydraulic disc brake, '63 Li 150 Lambretta and a stock p200. Also just scooped up a 78 Garelli SS XL moped. :sly: I have too much stuff!

I hate to have to be the one to say this, but come on guys, man up. There are real motorcyles out there. Scooters are for kids.

Talk about a death trap. I'd hate to be hit on a scooter. At least on a Ducati I have three options if someone pulls into my lane (has happened more than once) 1. Floor it and pull ahead, 2. Jam the brakes and fall behind, 3. Pull into another lane/shoulder.

On a scooter, I'd think your only choice would be #3. That's just not enough options for me when my life is on the line.

east high
04-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I don't see how your ride determines your manhood.

Tim Smith
04-09-2008, 04:38 PM
I hate to have to be the one to say this, but come on guys, man up. There are real motorcyles out there. Scooters are for kids.

Talk about a death trap. I'd hate to be hit on a scooter. At least on a Ducati I have three options if someone pulls into my lane (has happened more than once) 1. Floor it and pull ahead, 2. Jam the brakes and fall behind, 3. Pull into another lane/shoulder.

On a scooter, I'd think your only choice would be #3. That's just not enough options for me when my life is on the line.
You've never seen a Vespa pulling a wheelie up your driveway... with your aunt holding on for dear life... screaming, "How do you stop this thing!"

But I guess you have a point about safety. :p

LaneRover
04-09-2008, 07:47 PM

Well, I would say that with your line of thinking both 2 and 3 would be options. Of course there are plenty of folks out there who think that an old Rover is a death trap... ... you are sitting on a gas tank most of the time... the crumple zone may be in another car but it certainly isn't in a concrete wall... Roll bar?

Some like 4 strokes some like 2, at least that is what I think someone was eluding to with the different strokes comment...

now of course between a Rover and a Ducati, I have a feeling that the Rover will win.

JAy
04-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Come on Guys, man up, buy a fullsize ford with a 390 and 44" super swampers.

TSR53
04-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Yes any 2, 3 or vintage 4-wheeled vehicle is kewl, period. I think that Tim had a real good story for us all to hear, thanks for sharing it!

I get the same from local kids when I drive by in my MINI Cooper S R53 and they all give me a thumbs up, or "kewl car dude!". Same thing happens in my Westfalia and my old D90. I think that unique, kewl rides we all own and how people react to them is what this thread is really about.

east high
04-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Troo.

Yes any 2, 3 or vintage 4-wheeled vehicle is kewl, period. I think that Tim had a real good story for us all to hear, thanks for sharing it!

I get the same from local kids when I drive by in my MINI Cooper S R53 and they all give me a thumbs up, or "kewl car dude!". Same thing happens in my Westfalia and my old D90. I think that unique, kewl rides we all own and how people react to them is what this thread is really about.

autoguy
04-09-2008, 10:45 PM
jp, i sold my "real motorcycle" i had a 1998 harley sportster it was way too heavy for me and i feel a lot more comfortable riding my vintage vespa :)

i dont own a vehicle made after 1979 :D i used to get waves in my 1979 trans am when i drove it :)

my 1964 vespa GL is a sprint motor with a 166 malossi kit bored out a bit,a cosa clutch that is really nice compared to the old clutch, electronic ignition, and a simonini exhaust pipe that screams and a 24/24G carb :D the mods where worth every penny, i can outrun my dads 1979 vespa p200 and i have had the front wheel off the ground a bit in second gear :D

ya got to love vintage vehicles, usually easier to work on and more space under the hood :)

east high
04-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Some people may think they're wiener mobiles, but vintage Vespas are just like any two-stroke bike. Port, stroke, carb and apply the appropriate expansion chamber and you'll easily hit 70+ mph. Ask me how I know... They're light, nimble and can toast most 4 strokes off the line. But, this isn't what this thread is about. It's about loving vintage conveyances for what they are, and the gratification that comes from the appreciation of others.

LaneRover
04-10-2008, 08:51 AM
I have always found it interesting how many series Rover folks also have an interest in some other type of car, bike or scooter. There was a guy in (I think) Lebanon Maine who was also interested in Citroens. For Ted Howard it was Rovers and Volvos and there was a guy who was into Rovers and Saabs.

Brent

jp-
04-10-2008, 09:14 AM
I love all types of cars and bikes as long as they are at least neat to look at. I just don't get the appeal of a scooter, it's like riding a motorized lawn chair, no lines, no looks. You can get an Aprilia RS 50 that does the same thing as your scoot, but does it with style. If it's just about the gas mileage, ok. But really, a neat vehicle?

LaneRover
04-10-2008, 09:50 AM
I love all types of cars and bikes as long as they are at least neat to look at. I just don't get the appeal of a scooter, it's like riding a motorized lawn chair, no lines, no looks. You can get an Aprilia RS 50 that does the same thing as your scoot, but does it with style. If it's just about the gas mileage, ok. But really, a neat vehicle?

I looked at some pics of the Aprilia RS 50, now that looks like one Angry ass motorized lawn mower! ;-)

jp-
04-10-2008, 10:00 AM
I looked at some pics of the Aprilia RS 50, now that looks like one Angry ass motorized lawn mower! ;-)

I didn't want to start a flamewar, just trying to get you guys into some better style.:thumb-up:

east high
04-10-2008, 10:28 AM
I didn't want to start a flamewar, just trying to get you guys into some better style.:thumb-up:

Are you seriously saying that old Scooters have no style?? Vespa GS 160s SS 180s? Lambretta LDs and SX 200s?

You must be thinking of a Harley Topper or something...

Different strokes for different folks indeed. :rolleyes:

LaneRover
04-10-2008, 10:52 AM

Just having some fun! The Aprilia does look cool. As with beauty, style is in the eye of the beholder - or is it beer holder?

Brent

jp-
04-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Are you seriously saying that old Scooters have no style??

About as much style as this:

TSR53
04-10-2008, 11:56 AM
So, keeping this thread on somewhat of light hearted "neat, kewl ride" track... Here is an "angry lawn mower scooter". I think that this thing would be fun. Made by Sachs and sold in CN.

http://www.madass.ca/Portals/0/madassPhoto.jpg
http://www.madass.ca/

Video

TSR53
04-10-2008, 12:06 PM
But, of course if you drove this to work, it would fur sur wreck the school bus drivers day!

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/03/13/automobiles/533-Strahan.jpg

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/13/seeing-a-man-about-a-dog/index.html?hp

galen216
04-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Now that is cool! A mini weiner-mobile!

jp-
04-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Or how about the Cagiva Mito? 125CC's

Tim Smith
04-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Now that is cool! A mini weiner-mobile!
LOL, but what does it say about the driver.

jp-
04-10-2008, 04:55 PM
LOL, but what does it say about the driver.

I knew a guy once that always wore a Trojan Condoms hat. When asked about it, he said he was the factory test rep. I suppose it worked, because he never had any problem with the ladies.

xsbowes
04-11-2008, 12:29 AM
Have you tried to get a child on the seat in front of you, wife on the back, dog on the deck at your feet and 4-6 grocery bags on the handle bars? After living in Sicily for 5 years I stopped being astonished by this. Same with 5 sumo size Sicilians crawling out of a Fiat Cinquecento.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2073/10249131/19458865/312800064.jpg

Stacy