PDA

View Full Version : I passed this up but...

Daurie
04-09-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm thiking it was a good buy and
I shouldn't have let it go.. I checked up on this one daily.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-Series-III-Lightweight-British-Military-Land-Rover_W0QQitemZ140220245736QQcmdZViewItem

Tim Smith
04-10-2008, 07:01 AM
The truck may not be worth it! The pintle hitch is upside down.
:p

It actually looks like a nice lightweight but I can't help but notice the paint over spray from the frame (same photo as the pintle). If that were my truck, that over spray would be waxoil but you never know. The seller could be trying to hide something.

Good luck!

Willard
04-10-2008, 07:38 AM
i love comments like this,
"There is no rust on the body; the body is aluminum"

They should see the bulkhead on my Rover.

JimCT
04-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Doesn' tthe pintle hitch swivel?

Tim Smith
04-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Doesn' tthe pintle hitch swivel? Sure, but only if you keep it well greased up. Don't ask me how I know this. :D

The base has been mounted upside down though. You can tell by that fork looking piece of plate metal hanging down from the base. On mine at least, it will only lock in with the top of the hitch. So if he swiveled it 180, it still wouldn't be right because you couldn't lock it from swiveling if you wanted.

It's easy enough to switch back again if he'd just pull out the four bolts holding the base. He's probably scared to open up "that can of worms" because of all the rust that is hidden inside the frame when you pull the pintle off. Thats what I'm guessing.

Cheers!

Tim Smith
04-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Sure, but only if you keep it well greased up. Don't ask me how I know this. :D

The base has been mounted upside down though. You can tell by that fork looking piece of plate metal hanging down from the base. On mine at least, it will only lock in with the top of the hitch. So if he swiveled it 180, it still wouldn't be right because you couldn't lock it from swiveling if you wanted.

It's easy enough to switch back again if he'd just pull out the four bolts holding the base. He's probably scared to open up "that can of worms" because of all the rust that is hidden inside the frame when you pull the pintle off. Thats what I'm guessing.

Cheers!
Yeah, so I took a look at my hitch this morning and it looks like I was wrong about the base being on upside down. In fact, it is my hitch base that is upside down. It latches on the bottom. :o

So never mind what I said.

Mike_S
04-13-2008, 12:32 AM
I watched it a bit too - it sure looked nice in the photos, but those diamond plates on the front didn't work for me...:rolleyes: granted, I don't need to be looking right now :D