PDA

View Full Version : WTB 109 right rear upper shock mount

1961 109 WAGON
04-10-2008, 08:16 AM
found out today it broke off a the top, a quick call to rovers north says you have to buy the frame to get that. does anyone have one that they cut off for some reason i could buy?

TeriAnn
04-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Maybe its a sign that you need longer shocks.

If your spring leaves are not rusted together the short Series shocks limit articulation. The key is new shock mounts farther away that allow the use of longer shocks.

These pictures are from Timm Cooper's Series I 109

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LR.images/AShockRearTop1.jpg
A cross bar welded to the top of the frame with 2 bolt holes drilled in it.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LR.images/AshockRearBott.jpg

And below is a front upper shock mount
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LR.images/frontExtended.jpg

jp-
04-10-2008, 09:53 AM
found out today it broke off a the top, a quick call to rovers north says you have to buy the frame to get that. does anyone have one that they cut off for some reason i could buy?

Can you not weld the old one back on?

It would be easy to turn one down out of bar stock and weld it on, if you have to make a new one.

JimCT
04-10-2008, 11:40 AM
you could weld the proper size bolt across the top of the frame., and use a nut and washer rather than a cotter pin

1961 109 WAGON
04-10-2008, 11:42 AM
i can try to weld it on, as you can see its so rusty its flakey, the frame is fine, just in the area where this welds too is rusty
i do not have the travel straps on this truck, i heard it when it broke, i was at a 45 degree angle in a ditch

Willard
04-10-2008, 01:30 PM
TeriAnn. Any idea on how he did this and what was used for the shock mounts axle and frame?

I have not looked at my old frame yet, but i plan to pull off the rear axle and tires this weekend. Are you in a rush? mine might be in ok shape on the old frame and i could cut a as much as you need away.

madp
04-10-2008, 05:34 PM
I had the same thing happen last month on my 109 SW; I made the mistake of driving on a gravel road with a bump!. I did take it by the welder who said he could fabricate a new mount in no time. I haven’t been able to get it to the welder so I have been driving minus the shock since with out much noticeable difference; I have noticed wheel hop is not a big issue in the Landy :D . Let us know what you figure out to fix it.

Mercedesrover
04-10-2008, 06:30 PM
I've got a 109 frame out-back of the barn that has the rear shock mounts still attached....and that frame is complete junk and cut up in 5 pieces. You'd better take a good hard look at that frame and see if that truck should even be on the road. My guess is no.

JimCT
04-10-2008, 08:00 PM
mounting the shocks at an angle also reduces their effectiveness, so it comes at a price

1961 109 WAGON
04-11-2008, 09:17 AM
TeriAnn. Any idea on how he did this and what was used for the shock mounts axle and frame?

I have not looked at my old frame yet, but i plan to pull off the rear axle and tires this weekend. Are you in a rush? mine might be in ok shape on the old frame and i could cut a as much as you need away.
no big hurry, i only drive the truck on the weeekends around the county roads. thank you.