PDA

View Full Version : 91RR Cranks But Will Not Turn Over

robertmazur
04-10-2008, 10:11 PM
I have a 1991 Range Rover that has started perfectly for 6+ years. This morning it started and ran for about 2-3 seconds, and then quit. I let it sit untouched the full day and then tried to start. The starter cranks beautifully and it gave a quick hint of turning over, but then nothing. All I get now is the starter cranking away, but not even a shudder of trying to start.

The fuel pump fuse is fine. The vehicle has fuel. I pulled open the access hatch and disconnected/reconnected the electrical leads to the fuel pump (good reference: http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/fuelpump.htm#official ).

Is there something else that a mere mortal like myself can check before getting this rig flat-bedded away? Is this sounding like a fuel pump?

Rob

joshua.mcguoirk
04-12-2008, 09:03 AM
After leaving the vehicle set over night and tturning the key to the II position jump out and listen for the fuel system to pressurize. If you hear the pump it is likely to be something else. However another test would be to use starter fluid. If the vehicle starts and runs... then you can suspect the fuel system. Make sure to check all relays too.

Good luck.

robertmazur
04-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Thank you for the reply. It ended up being one of the relays under the seat that controls the fuel pump.

Thanks again for replying and reading!
Rob