PDA

View Full Version : D1 no crank,electrical gemlins

EdH
04-11-2008, 09:15 AM
98 d1 will not crank, after running a couple of errands yesterday, i tried starting to no avail. Sometimes when the key is turned to pos II the dash lights will either be normal, and turning to pos III results in a click as if dead battery or bad starter. Then releasing the key to pos II there will be a clicking like a faulty relay under right hand fascia. Other times turning key to pos II will result in dim lights and turning to pos III will result in clicking noise. Battery is good ,and starter was not acting up. Any usual suspects to check first ?
Ed

joshua.mcguoirk
04-12-2008, 09:17 AM
How do you know the battery is good?

Place the key in the II position. Climb under the vehicle and jump the starter (connect a lead from the main post to the small post). A remote starter switch is ideal for this situation. If the starter gives you the clicking sound than you have a bad battery.

Ensure all electrical connections are tight and corrosion free. Once you have the vehicle running check the alternator output [~14V]. Your battery should be reading nearly the same while the vehicle is running. A battery with the engine off should be between 12 and 12.5V.

EdH
04-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Well another failed optima seems be the culprit. It had a voltage of 12.3 but as soon as the key was turned it dropped to 6v- 8v, I had tried my charger w/ 50amp jump, no good. Then I jumped w/ my rr it fired right up. Replaced pos optima and all is well so far.
Ed

joshua.mcguoirk
04-13-2008, 07:44 AM
I too run with an Optima [Yellow]. I recall reading somewhere not to charge the battery using conventional battery chargers at 12V, but to do a long charge at 2V. It had to do with the gel separating from the plates [spirals].

Anybody else hear this?