PDA

View Full Version : 1971 Late 2a Project

Bertha
04-11-2008, 01:55 PM
I recently picked up this late 2a and have decided to start restoring it to original specs. I thought I might document the restoration as I go if there is interest.

TSR53
04-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Absolutely! You can keep this thread as the offical build record and just post away. Might be good to edit the first posting with VIN# and any other build spec data you think would be necessary. Nice find.

greenmeanie
04-11-2008, 02:52 PM
It certainly looks nice and straight. Is that a galvy chassis I see under there?

From the picture it was sharing the yard with the dormie that people were discussing a few months ago.

Good luck.

Cheers
Gregor

Jim-ME
04-11-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm interested in watching your restoration. Especially how you deal with the heater tube which runs under the dash.
Jim

TedW
04-11-2008, 08:45 PM
I'm interested in watching your restoration. Especially how you deal with the heater tube which runs under the dash.
Jim

Jim: What is your question about the heater tube? I thought that was pretty straightforward.

TedW
04-11-2008, 08:47 PM
The late IIA is my fave Series - what is your chassis#?

Bertha
04-12-2008, 10:46 PM
More photos to come. Glad there is some interest. Good catch on the galve frame. The truck has a new galv frame and very straight bodywork. The doors and door tops were shot so I already purchased new ones from our host Rovers North. I plan on buying any parts I need for the project from them, that I dont currently have in my personal inventory.

04-13-2008, 02:51 PM
If this truck is from VT, then I'm almost sure the truck in the background is an early IIa 88' which I almost purchased. Do you know if that was has been purchased?

Bertha
04-13-2008, 04:34 PM
If this truck is from VT, then I'm almost sure the truck in the background is an early IIa 88' which I almost purchased. Do you know if that was has been purchased?

The truck was found in upstate NY and the truck in the background is a 109 dormobile that has been sold.

gambrinus
04-13-2008, 09:15 PM
The Dormie in the background was bought by a guy here in Denver.

RW

Bertha
04-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Some more shots of this beast as I take it apart. The bulkhead is in good repairable condition, the rad support is shot-I bought a new one already. My plan is to have anything painted black-powdercoated, so I have started making a pile of just items getting powdercoated. The only non-original upgrade I will be doing is putting in a S3 all syncro gearbox, so my wife can drive it(as it is going to be her car). As luck would have it , I got a call the other day that the gearbox was finished and the motor was disassembled and at the machine shop. When I go up in a week to see them I will take some pics. My next step is to take apart the steering box and axles.

BackInA88
04-14-2008, 09:35 AM
MAN !! when you take on a project you don't mess around do you!!:thumb-up:

greenmeanie
04-14-2008, 10:15 AM
I feel like such a vulture. Anytime I see a truck getting stripped down like that I look at the picture and start getting the 'Oh, I could do with that bit' feeling.

I feel so lazy with my project. All I've done is gut the cooling and electrical system, pull the prop shafts and take the fuel tank off and repair and paint it.

Cheers
Gregor

Jim-ME
04-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Bertha,
When you get to removing the heater matrix I could really use a shot of the side that goes thru the footwell and if it's not asking too much a shot of the backside of the heater tube running under the dash.
Jim

Bertha
04-17-2008, 06:20 AM
Bertha,
When you get to removing the heater matrix I could really use a shot of the side that goes thru the footwell and if it's not asking too much a shot of the backside of the heater tube running under the dash.
Jim
no problem, I will do it over the weekend and post up by monday as well as some more progress shots of the axles and steering box stripped and ready for sandblast/powdercoating. my next attack is to strip down the bulkhead and ready it for sandblasting.

Eric W S
04-17-2008, 07:42 AM
no problem, I will do it over the weekend and post up by monday as well as some more progress shots of the axles and steering box stripped and ready for sandblast/powdercoating. my next attack is to strip down the bulkhead and ready it for sandblasting.

Acid dip it. Blasting won't get into all the crevices as well as a good acid bath. Then send it to a galvanizer.

Bertha
04-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Acid dip it. Blasting won't get into all the crevices as well as a good acid bath. Then send it to a galvanizer.
Thanks for the tip however, I have found that beadblasting works the best. When you go to paint the bulkhead, paint will only get into the areas that the beadblasting can reach. Galvinizing is not an option as I have never found someone that does galv smooth enough to apply paint over. In the past I have beadblasted, epoxy primed painted and waxolyed the inside areas and have found that that really holds up well, and that truck stays outside.

Eric W S
04-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the tip however, I have found that beadblasting works the best. When you go to paint the bulkhead, paint will only get into the areas that the beadblasting can reach. Galvinizing is not an option as I have never found someone that does galv smooth enough to apply paint over. In the past I have beadblasted, epoxy primed painted and waxolyed the inside areas and have found that that really holds up well, and that truck stays outside.

That sucks. Galvanizers can be a big pain. 2 in Chicago turned me down. No car parts. Still on the hunt though.

Bertha
04-18-2008, 09:05 AM
Bertha,
Jim

Jim
I got motivated last night to work on the truck. Here are some shots you requested. If you require more, feel free to ask.

Bertha
04-18-2008, 09:06 AM
A big thanks to Ike for selling me this NLA and in great shape fan shroud. He was even kind enough to supply the hardware.

Bertha
04-18-2008, 09:13 AM
I finally have all the axles apart and took some pics. I realized that I am running out of picture posting space, any guidance on this would be appreciated as I am not that computer savvy. Notice the swivel ball area was pretty nasty. Axle shafts seemed fine however they will be getting new u-joints.

Les Parker
04-18-2008, 01:35 PM
2 Front axles !!
Must be kind of neat to drive a 4 wheel steering Landrover.
Keep the pix coming.

:)

Bertha
04-18-2008, 03:48 PM
2 Front axles !!
Must be kind of neat to drive a 4 wheel steering Landrover.
Keep the pix coming.

:)
Good catch Les. I could not decide which housing to use so I have decided to blast and powdercoat both of them. You will be hearing from me shortly for my order.

Jim-ME
04-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Bertha,
Thats exactly what I have as well. Now I see how the tube attaches to the heater inside. The only thing I'm not sure of at this point is if a S3 matrix can be made to work as it's not quite the same as an S2 heater.
Jim

Daurie
04-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Looks like fun to me.. Whenever I dive into a new project , whatever it may be, I tend to get things to a quick start like you! Thats some good progress if you got started on or around the 11th.

I've been mulling over a few project trucks lately.. There are a few things I want to do to my S3 but It's my daily driver so another series truck MUST be the answer.. right???

Daurie
04-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Bertha,
Thats exactly what I have as well. Now I see how the tube attaches to the heater inside. The only thing I'm not sure of at this point is if a S3 matrix can be made to work as it's not quite the same as an S2 heater.
Jim

I've had good luck in the past with my local sheet metal shop. I've had some pretty fancy duct work made to go through tight spots and I was pretty impressed with what a good sheet metal guy could do. The parts were spot welded, sealed and insulated if I wanted plus all made of galvanized sheet. :thumb-up:

Bertha
04-18-2008, 09:08 PM
Looks like fun to me.. Whenever I dive into a new project , whatever it may be, I tend to get things to a quick start like you! Thats some good progress if you got started on or around the 11th.

I've been mulling over a few project trucks lately.. There are a few things I want to do to my S3 but It's my daily driver so another series truck MUST be the answer.. right???

Daurie, I must confess I did have an unfair head start as the truck was already mostly disassembled when I got it with only a few bolts holding the fenders and hardtop on. Everything else was pretty much apart and thrown in the truck. The engine and trans were also out of the truck when I got it.
As far as other projects in addition to your daily driver, I see you too have the same disease as I had, unfortunately time has caught up with me as well as reality(unfortunately) and this will probably be my last project for quite some time, once I am done(I do want to do a 109sw someday for myself)

Daurie
04-19-2008, 08:45 AM
So you had a little head start.. still looks like you're moving along. :thumb-up: I bet you're out there right now..

early sat morning while the other half is still in bed and little one is just happy to be home for the weekend.. no better time to sneak out there for me. :D