PDA

View Full Version : Starting troubles!!!

B. Wallace
04-11-2008, 02:53 PM
This afternoon as I was adjusting my distributor, (with the truck running), the distributor pops out and arcs against the tube it sits in and kills the truck. Well, when I get it all put back in and try to crank it, I've got nothing. The ignition does work (it powers the electronics), but won't turn over. All 4 under dash fuses are fine.

What have I possibly burned up here?

I AM able to start it and drive it by shorting the starter out with a screwdriver with the key on, and it runs and drives fine.

Therefore, it's NOT the distributor, Pertronix, coil, etc.

Anyone know off the top of their head what I've screwed up here?

Thanks,
Ben

greenmeanie
04-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Try jumping the terminals on the starter solenoid. If the starter spins you are down to the solenoid or the ignition switch.

Cheers
Gregor

B. Wallace
04-11-2008, 03:34 PM
I believe that's what I did... I jumped the terminals directly behind the battery, one w/ red power and one w/ black ground. This is the solenoid, correct? I said "starter", but may have been talling about the solenoid instead.
Could it be the ignition, while I am able to turn it on, powering the heater and radio, for example, but not being able to turn the starter motor over?

greenmeanie
04-11-2008, 03:59 PM
From your posts you have :
1. An engine that runs if you turn the key and turn the engine over.
2. A starter that will not turn using the ignition key but will spin if you jump the solenoid terminals.

If that is true then your ignition system i.e. dizzy, coil and leads are fine. If the starter spins then the starter motor is fine too.

Break out your multi meter. Check the wiring and connections to the ignition switch. Have someone turn the key and check the white(?) wire connection to the solenoid. If it has power then the ignition switch is OK. With that known then check for power across the solenoid itself.

Cheers
Gregor

B. Wallace
04-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Thanks for your help so far...
The starter spins, but ONLY when jumping the solenoid.
By turning the key, I ONLY get accessory functions, but no starter spin.
I'm hoping it's just the ignition switch, considering it is a cheap one from Auto Zone that has worked just fine.
I'm just wondering if it is something between the ignition and the solenoid...

Thanks,
Ben

madp
04-11-2008, 04:43 PM
I Just had the solenoid go out in my series 3 too, and was getting the same symptoms you are. To test if it is the Ignition or a wire in between, get your multi-meter and remove and test the White w/red tracer wire that runs from the ignition switch to the middle pin of the starter solenoid, when you turn the key, if you get 12 volts the ignition switch is fine and your solenoid is shot, if you don’t get 12 volts it’s the ignition switch or a wire in between. Good luck!

Daurie
04-11-2008, 06:57 PM
To test if it is the Ignition or a wire in between, get your multi-meter and remove and test the White w/red tracer wire that runs from the ignition switch to the middle pin of the starter solenoid, when you turn the key, if you get 12 volts the ignition switch is fine and your solenoid is shot, if you don’t get 12 volts it’s the ignition switch or a wire in between. Good luck!

The above is good advice.

You could also get a small piece of wire and jump between the battery positive at the solenoid and the ignition positive terminal at the solenoid. If the starter turns the solenoid is good. This will energize the coil of the solenoid as opposed to jumping between the battery straight to the starter which creates lots of sparks.

No tester, less sparks and you're actually testing the soleniod operation.