PDA

View Full Version : Heavy duty 10-spline axle shafts

Mercedesrover
12-06-2006, 11:39 AM
As some of you know, I sell heavy-duty 24 & 30-spline front and rear axle shafts for Series Land Rovers. 24-spline for an udated carrier and 30-spline for the Toyota conversion

After a recent thread I've gotten quite a few emails asking if I have heavy-duty 10-spline axles. I don't, but if there seems to be enough interest for me to look into it.

Not sure if they will have intergal drive flanges or if they'll be a direct replacement of the stock axle and splined at both ends. Keep in mind that the strength of these shafts are limited to thier diameter but I should be able to assure a shaft 2-3 times stronger than stock.

Give me a show of hands...If I can do a pair of heavy-duty rear axles for around $500 how many here may be interested in them?

Thanks!

Jim
www.seriestrek.com
pbs@mohawk.net

poko
12-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Jim,
I would be interested but I would like to see them be an easy fit (as close to direct replacement as possible......if possible)
Thanks,
Chuck

yorker
12-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Jim,
I would be interested but I would like to see them be an easy fit (as close to direct replacement as possible......if possible)
Thanks,
Chuck

I think thjat is the whole idea of doing HD 10 spline axles- a drop in replacement made of better material. :D

I have been looking for a set- GBR Used to have some HD 10 spline axles- I think made by Maxi Drive. When I emailed him to ask about them he had none in stock, he hasn't been able to get any either as far as I know.

Matt Nelson

TeriAnn
12-07-2006, 10:48 AM
I have been looking for a set- GBR Used to have some HD 10 spline axles- I think made by Maxi Drive. When I emailed him to ask about them he had none in stock, he hasn't been able to get any either as far as I know.

I had a set of those back when. They lasted me about twice as long as stock 10 spline axles usually lasted me but when mine broke (inner spline) the break was in large bits that got between my ring & pinion gears taking them out too.

My advice is that if you have a 109 or heavy 88 spend the extra $$ to upgrade to a larger stronger axle. Hardened 10 splines might work long term for a street 88 or one used on maintained trails, but they are no long term substitute to larger dia stronger axles.

KingSlug
12-07-2006, 02:14 PM
I know you guys are interested in the direct replacement for 10 spline axles as close to the originals as possible, but dont count out the integral drive flange (http://www.seriestrek.com/parts/flange.jpg) on SeriesTrek.

Slop is a bad thing in axles. I sure many have noticed that when you have pull the little rear hub cab, axle washer/nut and the felt/rubber seal that there is play between the axle and the drive housing at the end of the axle. 10 spline axles have a lot of slop, 24 spline less so because of the surface the splines lock into the drive housing. The less slop, the less wear and torque twist due to shock loading at that location. The integral drive flanges eliminate this slop, let us not forget with these we will not knock of the little hub cap when wheeling.

I am sure if Jim at SeriesTrek (http://www.seriestrek.com/parts.html) can make these 10 spline axles they will be a quality product.

I have experience 5 axle breaks on different rovers, 4 were at the out drive housings, 1 the axle broke clean off at the diff. I have seen more spline wear and twist at the outer drive housings, maybe other have seen differently.

I agree with Teri Ann that larger axles are better, but a 24 spline diff and SeriesTrek axles would solve most peoples woes.

TeriAnn
12-07-2006, 11:41 PM
I have experience 5 axle breaks on different rovers, 4 were at the out drive housings, 1 the axle broke clean off at the diff. I have seen more spline wear and twist at the outer drive housings, maybe other have seen differently.

I've gone through six 10 spline rear axles before converting to a Salisbury. I'm 50-50 on inide & outside breaks, but I pay attention to drive flange spline wear & replace them as needed.

I've gone through two 10 spline fronts, both on the inside. All six rears and one front was with the 2.25L engine. I converted to the Salibury before the 5L went in.