PDA

View Full Version : Series 3 109-wipers,blinker,hose ?

TCapelle
04-12-2008, 02:12 PM
Hello

I recently purchased a 109 series 111. It runs, starts, stops and is pretty much in good shape (for a series 111 rover)

I have a few minor things to try and fix. Any tips or advice before I dive in?

1. Wiper blades looked to be stripped- Is it a JB weld application or is a set screw/pin a better idea? Or other ideas?

2. Left front blinker doesn't blink-buld looks good, seems to have juice there- Is socket possibly worn out?

3. Speedo/Odometer doesn't work- How to know if its the cable or something else?

4. Finally I see 2 hose running from what looks to be some sort of pump in the rear of the truck-One hose is connected to a coupling on the back of the rear bumper te other runs to the front fender area and is not connected to anything- Is this an old hydraulic pump or something for farm use?

Lastly-Anyone have a 109 soft top and hoop set for sale?

Thanks-Tim

98 Disco "Green Rhino"
90 County"Green Lantern"
72 Series 111 109- "to be named" it is blue though-what to do......

Jeff Aronson
04-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Tim,

Post some photos. It would be great to see a Series III 109" again.

1. You can buy the inner spindle piece for the wiper blades. It uses a set screw. You may have to file the spindle itself on one side [or the Series III might come with one side filed down]. One installed, it really tightens up the wiper blade.

2. Does it illuminate but not blink or not work at all? Try another bulb first. They can look good but not function. Does the left rear work?

3. Unscrew the cable from the back of the speedometer and tilt the cable down to where you can feel it. Drive the car forward at a slow speed while putting one hand on the cable. You should feel it turn while you move, If not, then the cable is broken. It's rarer that both the speedometer and the odometer fail at the same time so it's more likely the cable. The cable runs from the bulkhead to a hole between the transfer case and the transmission. There are 3 tiny screws that hold a triangular washer over the flange of the speedometer cable. It's a slow repair but basically quite simple to complete.

4. Sounds like it's old fitting from an implement of some sort.

Jeff

TCapelle
04-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Hi Jeff

I think I got the wipers to work based on the spindle like you said.

The blinker doesn't illuminate or blink. The rear blinker on that side does work. I got new bulbs and that did not fix the issue. It seems to me the bulb is a bit lose in the socket but the drivers side also seems loose and it works.

I see two wires connect to the socket however there are two "cut wires" also sitting there.

Can I put a volt meter on the center piece of the socket and socket wall to see if I get voltage or is there a better way to measure if there is voltage at the socket?

I will send pics soon- She/he is a real beast...

Tim
98 Disco-Green Rhino
90 County-Green Lantern
72 Series 111 109- to be named
40's Farmall Super A (close cousin to the series rovers :) "Orville"