PDA

View Full Version : Should I or shouldn't I: Transmission

Peerless
04-13-2008, 08:52 PM
I have a 98 4.0 with 182k on it. My dad bought it new and for some reason let it go without servicing the transmission! Well over time everyone said don't touch it! Now I own the Rover, and have been noticing lately its a little sluggish down low, and my mileage is sucky, not one to stir a bees nest I still have a nagging urge to service the tranny. Most would say leave'er alone.. but I have a funny feeling she can take it.. its been a stout trouble free truck (EAS aside..). My classic at 125K was acting up, and I had it flushed at a neighboring garage, and less than 100mi later it crapped out (I have a feeling that thdidn't know how to run their "new" machine) Or should I wait until my 4.6 is ready to go in and see what happens? OOOOOOhhh its like wanting to pick a scab.

joshua.mcguoirk
04-26-2008, 08:47 AM
I have a 98 4.0 with 182k on it. My dad bought it new and for some reason let it go without servicing the transmission! Well over time everyone said don't touch it! Now I own the Rover, and have been noticing lately its a little sluggish down low, and my mileage is sucky, not one to stir a bees nest I still have a nagging urge to service the tranny. Most would say leave'er alone.. but I have a funny feeling she can take it.. its been a stout trouble free truck (EAS aside..). My classic at 125K was acting up, and I had it flushed at a neighboring garage, and less than 100mi later it crapped out (I have a feeling that thdidn't know how to run their "new" machine) Or should I wait until my 4.6 is ready to go in and see what happens? OOOOOOhhh its like wanting to pick a scab.

With 182K this tranny should have been serviced 6 times already [every 30,000K]. Most transmission shoppes will tell you leave it alone. Your sluggish engine and poor millage can be attributed to a tune up [every 60,000K]. This was due for a tune-up at 180K. When replacing the plugs use Genuine. I've had to switch back to Genuine after trying Bosch Platinum 4's, too many computer errors. I've had good success with NAPA replacement items, ie. wires, filters...

Good luck.