X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bronsonarlo
    Low Range
    • Mar 2008

Looking for a paint and body shop

I live in South Carolina and need a great paint and body shop to paint my series 3. Most of the places I've been to will not paint these older rovers. I am willing to drive the body parts to a place that will do a correct job. Thanks.
  • Dav1550
    Low Range
    • Oct 2006

Just out off the Charlotte beltway I-485 in Minthill

Reflections paint and body 704-545-6674

He does good work, has experience with series rovers and understands what they should look like. He's not cheap, but no quality paint job is.

Not sure if he's available for the time frame your shooting for or close enough to take into consideration. But was pleased with the results of the panels he shot for me for my 109.

Dave

Comment

• thixon
      5th Gear
      • Jul 2007

Where in SC are you?
      Travis
      '66 IIa 88

Comment

• sailtech
        Low Range
        • Jan 2008

Mount Pleasant, SC

Hey Bronsonarlo,

I'm just north of Charleston, SC and I'm restoring my 1969 IIa. I was planning on buying a soda blasting rig and then setting up a paint booth under my elevated house. Maybe we could share the cost of some of the equipment and both use it.

Regards,

Stuart

Comment

• S11A
          2nd Gear
          • Apr 2007

Autobahn Collision in Matthews (Charlotte area off of I-485 at the Independence exit). Great work and reasonably priced (much much cheaper than I thought it would be for reairing my wife's car).
          1965 Series 2A 109 pickup diesel

Comment

• dmurrell
            Low Range
            • Oct 2006

Paint and Body in CHS

Gents,

I live in downtown CHS and am using a friend to do the paintwork on my Series III 88 and my 110. PM me and we can discuss.

Later,
            Dave

Comment

• Bill Fisher
              Low Range
              • Sep 2007

Land Rover Shop Near Charlotte

Hi All,

Saw this thread while day dreaming about a series Rover. Anyway, I have had my Rovers, two Disco I's repaired at Reborn Company LLC in Shelby, NC. The owner's name is Evan. I have had extensive body and mechanical work done on both D I's at his shop. He seems to have quite a following for early Rovers as well. You can check out his website at www.rebornco.com .

Good Luck,

Bill, in Rock Hill, SC

Comment

• TSR53
                5th Gear
                • Mar 2006

Welcome to the RoversNorth Forums, great first posting .
                Cheers, Thompson
                Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
                Rovers North, Inc.

Comment

• Bill Fisher
                  Low Range
                  • Sep 2007

First Post

Thanks, I have learned a lot from Rovers North. The forums are a great resource.

Comment

• PH4
                    3rd Gear
                    • Jan 2007

I am in Charleston and have had a Series painted here. As a result I have probably spent over 10 Saturdays removing paint from everything you can imagine should not have been painted. If I was to do it over again, which I might, I would remove every possible part I did not want painted and mask off the rest myself. I am considering having some paint done on one of my series and would like to hear from the other person in Charleston and who he is using. Please PM me if you do not mind. Thanks.

Comment

• thixon
                      5th Gear
                      • Jul 2007

Hi guys. I hope whats below helps,

If you're after a factory looking paint job, then its much easier to just pull the body off the truck, remove the trim, and paint the indiviual pieces. It may be tough finding a paint shop willing to shoot the pieces, but if you look long enough you'll find one. Stay away from the big paint/body shops. They concentrate on insurance jobs, and won't want to deal with your "project" (if you found one that did, he'd skin you alive price wise, and the result would be marginal anyway). In addition, I assume you'll probaby want to use a single stage paint instead of a base coat/clear coat. I say that only because most series people I know don't want a really really shiny rover. The single stage paints tend not to have that deep shine (unless you polish the crap out of them), and look like what was originally on the truck (becuse there was a single stage originally on the truck!). A large paint/body shop will generally not want to shoot a single stage paint (another reason not to go there!). They are trickier to shoot, and the guys they have on staff probably have more experience with the base coat clear coat systems anyway.

Find a small shop, that does alot of custom work. Explain exactly what you want, and get it in writing. Agree to everything before hand. If you want him to remove dings and dents, specify each one on the estimate. Agree to a price and let 'er rip. Expect it to take three times longer than estimated. If you do want to go with a single stage paint, don't force the guy to use Dupont Centari if he does'nt want to (Centari seems to be the paint of choice for Rover restoration only becuase the paint codes are readily available on the web). If he's married to another single stage, let him shoot it. The result will be much better if he's using a paint he knows.

I was brief here. If anyone wants more help, let me know.
                      Travis
                      '66 IIa 88

Comment

Working...