PDA

View Full Version : SERIES 3 STEERING WHEEL

WILLYSMB
04-17-2008, 09:16 AM
I need to replace my steering wheel on my 72' series 3. It is cracked and i am not sure of its ability to hold together. Anybody know of a good source for either a new steering wheel or a replacement that will fit.

anybody???

Marshall:D

Terrys
04-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Rovers North has new ones cheap ($70ish) but they won't fall apart on you. There's a steel ring inside the molded hard rubber. They are easy to fix using epoxy filler materials

Paul Rossmann
04-17-2008, 10:09 AM
I got one from DAP. It is a smaller diameter, and the thickness of the wheel is larger and leather padded. Very comfortable, easy to install and easy to drive. But if you want to stay "original" the RN wheel is the way to go.

BackInA88
04-17-2008, 10:19 AM
I got one from DAP. It is a smaller diameter, and the thickness of the wheel is larger and leather padded. Very comfortable, easy to install and easy to drive. But if you want to stay "original" the RN wheel is the way to go.

How much smaller.
Any pics?

Steve

Tim Smith
04-18-2008, 09:28 AM
The smaller wheel sounds like the 13" Mountney which can have mixed reviews. In my own truck it has been pretty good. My steering is light enough that I can actually turn the wheels with it. I've heard of horror stories from a rover mechanic who had dealt with some trucks with heavier steering. Basically he said that without power steering, it can be a bear to turn the wheel with the smaller wheels. Although he was impressed with my truck. For whatever reason my steering was lighter than he was used to. :D

I also witnessed one of these fall apart around the mounting base just recently and if it weren't for some fine trail bodging it could have left the dude stranded. Food for thought.

Paul Rossmann
04-18-2008, 10:52 AM
I also witnessed one of these fall apart around the mounting base just recently and if it weren't for some fine trail bodging it could have left the dude stranded. Food for thought.

How did it fall apart? That's scary... My truck must fall under the "easy to steer" catagory. I have no problem with the smaller wheel. I dont really crank it hard to one side or the other as you might do when negotiating a tough trail, which may have been the reason for the failure you mention (just guessing).

I like the extra "leg room" with the smaller wheel.

That's my 2p.

Tim Smith
04-18-2008, 12:39 PM
How did it fall apart? That's scary... My truck must fall under the "easy to steer" catagory. I have no problem with the smaller wheel. I dont really crank it hard to one side or the other as you might do when negotiating a tough trail, which may have been the reason for the failure you mention (just guessing).

I like the extra "leg room" with the smaller wheel.

That's my 2p.
Well the truck in question had power steering, so I'm thinking that it was age or perhaps using the wheel to climb up and into the truck that snapped it. Not sure though but it looked like it had been slowly breaking for some time.

The failure was at the ring where the screws secure the wheel to the hub. At each of the three spokes, the ring cracked and could have easily snapped if the driver hadn't noticed it. It's only stamped aluminum, so it's not the strongest ring/spokes set up in the world.

My 2p.

KevinNY
04-18-2008, 12:56 PM
It was a great trail fix though, wasn't it Tim. I have that same wheel and have been happy.

Tim Smith
04-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Yes it sure was. I'm still surprized that the truck was able to continue through the rest of the weekend with that breaker bar lashed to the wheel.

My wheel is in fact bent. I pushed it in when I slept in the truck durring MAR a few years ago. It's sort of been bent back into the original position but when you are doing parking lot manuvers, it's obvious that the wheel isn't quite right.

I think the Mountney's are a bit on the light/cheap side. Otherwise they seem to get the job done.