PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a Hard Top

Jim-ME
04-19-2008, 04:06 PM
Anyone have any suggestions on how I might package, box. wrap up, crate a full hard top to ship to Kansas City? Any and all suggestions welcomed.
Jim

Daurie
04-19-2008, 05:55 PM
I'd start with a coulpe pallets and some plywood. Cardboard between everything and it might be worth spending the money on some air filled packaging bags (whatever the trade word for it is) and some bubble wrap maybe. Take some pictures and let us know how it goes/what you come up with. I was thingking about the same thing at one time but ended up passing up the thing due to shipping issues! :rolleyes:

Jim-ME
04-19-2008, 06:37 PM
That's what I had thought of. I should be able to find used pallets and build a box of sorts. I'm afraid that it will turn a reasonably priced item into solid gold and I don't want to do it to this person. Thanks for the ideas.
Jim

autoguy
04-19-2008, 07:18 PM
anybody know a reasonable shipping company too ? i was thinking greyhound but the top is too big and even if it was broke apart than it would be too expensive too

unless anyone is coming from main and going close to kansas city missouri anytime soon and would be willing to transport the top ?

i appreciate you now wanting to hose me on shipping, even if i dont buy this top that jim-me has, he is a hell of a stand up guy and i would not hesitate to do business with him :)

siiirhd88
04-19-2008, 08:25 PM
I have used Forward Air for several shipments, including a D90 3.9 V8 with R380 5 speed from Colorado to Baltimore, and a Defender bulkhead from Boston to Baltimore. Ths shipping cost was very reasonable and quite fast. All of these bulky items were set on a pallet and then boxed with 2X4s and 1/4 inch ply.

http://www.forwardair.com/

No connection, etc....

Bob

Donnie
04-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Anyone have any suggestions on how I might package, box. wrap up, crate a full hard top to ship to Kansas City? Any and all suggestions welcomed.
Jim
U might check on ebay motors for a shipper who may be going in that area with a car to deliver...Carlisle is this weekend also...........there will be haulers there waiting to deliver anywhere, then Hershey, then Englishtown,,,These are large swap meets with worldwide attendance.....As far as hooking you up , I'm probably not much help..........good luck

sailtech
04-19-2008, 10:18 PM
I had a great experience using a website called Uship.

www.uship.com

You post the specs of your shipment along with pictures, if you have them, and independent truckers bid on your shipment.

Best of luck.

Stuart

autoguy
04-19-2008, 11:31 PM
thanks for the help everyone, i priced greyhound, and the top was too big as a whole, and would be $300 total broken down in to 3 pieces, ups freight was very expensive $800 and up

even if i made it a road trip it would cost $200 or more in gas, why must the good deals on parts and rovers be so far away ? :mad:

forward air was $450 for my container aka a pallet :D

xsbowes
04-19-2008, 11:45 PM
you might want to try shannon express. no personal experience but their rates seem reasonable. $.64 per pound for over 100 pounds plus 20% fuel charge.

http://www.shannonexpress.com/page.asp?pageid=48

zebrarover
04-20-2008, 10:21 PM
I had a tropical top (top only, no sides) shipped from canada to texas. The company I bought it from built a pallate underneath it and then surrounded it with plywood. It shipped fairly well with the exception of one small dent on the sunsheet. If I was doing it over, I'd build a 2*4 crate around the top and then cover that in plywood.

I shipped it from Canada to Texas using Forward Air and then had a local company deliver it to the house. The total shipping cost (including customs) was close to $300.

Good luck.
Seth

KevinNY
04-20-2008, 10:41 PM
Hard tops are not exactly "hard" to find, often they are available almost for nothing. The buyer might be better off finding something closer to home. Truck cabs on the other hand....

Jim-ME
04-21-2008, 03:49 AM
I totally agree and have suggested that he look elsewhere which he is doing. Thanks to everyone for the help.
Jim