PDA

View Full Version : Leak from the main fuel tank...

Dashface
04-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Is there a tube or plug or something I should know about on the front of the tank? The rear tank on my 109 seems to leak when I put more than about $25 in gas in there... Unfortunately, I just disconnected my front tank from the system, so I'm sort of stuck here. I'm just hoping there's something I may have missed or screwed up connecting that you guys can think of - because otherwise I've got a brand new tank with a hole in it, which would drive me bonkers :mad:

I Leak Oil
04-20-2008, 12:36 PM
If it's new then it's probably leaking from one of the lines or their connections, the filler neck connection or the sender. Next time you fill up have someone else pump and get under there and check it out.
Jason T.

LaneRover
04-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Am I correct in guessing that you have the ~20 Station wagon tank in the back?

If it is $25 from empty then I would think that you have a leak at a seam. If it is $25 with a bunch of gas already in the tank then it could easily be a fitting or a hose.

Is the leak constant or when you drive? Is it steady or just a bit of weeping? (not you the tank ;-)

Brent

Dashface
04-20-2008, 05:03 PM
I've been doing plenty of weeping about it, actually ;)

It's a pretty good dribble out of the tank. When it happened it was in the winter time so it was cold and dark out, but as far as I could see the leak was definitely coming from the front of the tank.

It was a reconditioned tank from Roverworks - new lining and everything. Basically, it was as good as a new from factory tank, as far as I could tell before putting it in.

Guess I'm gonna have to have someone lift up the darned truck and we'll see what we can see under there.

LaneRover
04-20-2008, 06:38 PM
If you can see where the leak is coming from try rubbing some soap on it. It is an old trail fix for a crack in the tank and actually works well. It will probably tell you if it is where you think it is or if it is leaking from somewhere you can't see at all.

Is it the Station wagon 20 gallon tank?

Brent

thixon
04-21-2008, 08:09 AM
Check your lines everywhere while putting gas in the tank. Sometimes you won't see it unless fuel is actually coming out of the crack/hole/fisure/etc.

greenmeanie
04-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Having just spent a happy week skiddling with chemicals to seal my SW tank I can tell you there are no penetrations on the front face of the tank. The skid plate wraps up the front face so there area couple of those holes in that where it brazes to the inner wall. If that is you leak point then it's time for a new sealer I'm afraid.

On the top surface at the front you have a seam in the tank skin and two fuel pipes as accessed through the plates in the rear floor. As stated above these would be my bet.

THe only thing I can think of that is not a seam and that goes through the tank wall ata height equivalent to the amount of fuel you suggest would be the tank filler tube but that is on the side towards the rear of the tank.

The nasty thing is that if it does need resealed then you'll have a lot of fun with strippers trying to get the old liner out.

Cheers
Gregor

Dashface
04-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Well, I'm taking it in to a guy who does old Series trucks next week. If it looks like I'm going to have to get another tank, I'm just going to cut the top off the 2nd tank (which is a bit rusty), throw a fuel cell in there, and be done with it :mad::thumb-up:

Dashface
04-24-2008, 12:50 AM
Okay - next question: Does anyone know anywhere in Canada where I could get a replacement tank for under the front seat? I'd order one from our hosts (I have had great service from them many times in the past), but customs fees on large packages are a serious bitch.

Thanks! :D:thumb-up:

Jim-ME
04-24-2008, 05:17 AM
Wise Owl should have them.
Jim