PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding (fixing) igntion/headlamp switch

east high
04-22-2008, 11:52 AM
The ignition circuit in my sIIa ignition switch crapped out on me late last night. Luckily I had my uncle's old Boy Scout pocketknife with me and was able to hotwire back to life.

Has anyone been inside these old combo switches, or attempted to fix them after such a mishap? I really want to keep the original style switch.

I don't know what caused the blowout. As far as I know the whole system is stock except for the Delco alt.

LaneRover
04-22-2008, 12:14 PM
The switch in my 1965 109 fell into many pieces after it had been borrowed by Ford for some PAG meeting. I bought new innards from our hosts and was able to replace it. To get home that night I did a similar thing with a penknife and some zip ties.

The nice thing about Ford borrowing my Rover was that the guy said that even with a $150,000 Aston Martin sitting next to it, everyone went to my Rover. The bad thing was that they completely detailed it and my Rover had never looked nicer - which made the back seat slippery, which caused my dog to use her claws to 'hold on'. DOH! They also shined up the paint something fierce and my paint had never really oxidized before that....

Brent

They did pay to replace the switch

east high
04-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Are you talking about either one of these items for a rebuild?

http://roversnorth.com/store/p-8451-ignition-switch-early-2a-used.aspx

http://roversnorth.com/store/p-2442-ignition-switch-series-ii-iia-thru-1966.aspx

Woodslug
04-22-2008, 03:02 PM
I rebuilt mine about 25 years ago. It too fell apart so I cleaned it up, regreased it and put it back together using epoxy on the back were it had broken. It worked just fine. I found an NOS one on ebay several years ago for about $40. It was listed as being for another type of car maybe a metropolitan but not sure.

Good luck,

Ted

east high
04-22-2008, 03:22 PM
Hmm. Good to know these switches were used on other cars.

BTW, my switch isn't broken, I just have a feeling the iginition bit of it might be fried. Won't know until I test it tonight, tho.