PDA

View Full Version : Roll bar for 88?

Paul Rossmann
04-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Well I guess I'm not going for the pickup cab (another thread) and will be doing the soft top in the summer/hard top in the winter. I have looked around and really can't locate a source for a roll bar that would fit a Series 88. I would like to find one that would work with either hard or soft top. I know ECR has fabbed some up but they wont even quote it unless they have your car. I'm in SC and can't drive to Maine for a roll bar, much less a quote.

Anybody that can steer me in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks.

chester rides again
04-24-2008, 02:58 PM
I haven't done it yet, but you should be able to find a local auto shop that builds/installs roll cages for other 4x4's as well as racing cars - heck you're in NASCAR land...

I've got the p/u, full hard top, and the soft tops in the mail. So I'm going to need a roll bar to fit nicely no matter what top if have on (or off)

thixon
04-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Paul,

Option 1: You can have one made pretty reasonably. If there are some 4x4 shops in your area, call and ask who they know that makes cages/bars/etc. Failing that, find a local "too fast, too furious" street racing rice rocket shop and ask the same question. Chances are there's someone in your area with a bender that makes cages/bars on the side.

Option 2: I'm planning on making one for my '88 once I get it on the road and sorted out. I have a bender/welder/cutter etc. If you're willing to come to augusta (I beleive you said your in SC?) and help, I could make two. I'm estimating that I'll start that project over the fall/winter, so if your after one immediatly, go with option 1.

KevinNY
04-24-2008, 09:28 PM
A couple of years ago I asked ECR about a roll bar and was told "Roll bars start at $3000". Yes I made sure I heard him right! Fortunately I found a new Safety Devices bar in a friends garage for a good deal. Plenty of 4x4 places can make you one.

PH4
04-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Try Mark Googer in Mt. Pleasant on King Street. I believe his company is called Carolina Rigging but cannot remember. He shares space with Tommy Stone a the Trailer Shop. He can help you. Did you buy the pastel green 88 that was for sale on East Bay by Ludens?

msggunny
04-25-2008, 07:17 AM
I did some research about this too. One of the tips i found was to ensure that the 4x4 understands that your body pannels are made of aluminum and not steel.

there was an article about this, and even after the guy tried to explain to the shop they still hit his body with a torch.....

I cant remember where i read it but if i can find the article i will put a link up.

Nice.

Paul Rossmann
04-25-2008, 08:17 AM
I'm planning on making one for my '88 once I get it on the road and sorted out. I have a bender/welder/cutter etc. If you're willing to come to augusta (I beleive you said your in SC?) and help, I could make two. I'm estimating that I'll start that project over the fall/winter, so if your after one immediatly, go with option 1.

I'm not in a hurry, and I go to Augusta a couple of times a year to sail, so that's no problem. Contact me when you get closer and If I havent solved the problem, I'll come up. Thanks— very generous offer.

Paul Rossmann
04-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Try Mark Googer in Mt. Pleasant on King Street. I believe his company is called Carolina Rigging but cannot remember. He shares space with Tommy Stone a the Trailer Shop. He can help you. Did you buy the pastel green 88 that was for sale on East Bay by Ludens?

I'll call Mark. Thanks.

Yeah, that 88 is mine. I was trying to sell it but got tired of people asking how much I wanted for "that old Jeep." Just did a ton of work and new rubber all round as well. I've had her for about 10 years and shes running better than ever. She ain't the prettiest girl at the party... but she dances good.

S11A
04-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Safety Devices used to have a US distributor, I believe in TN. I forgot who this is, but taking a guess I might say it was Thatched Roof Garages? I could not be remembering this correctly at all... Maybe do some searching?

PH4
04-25-2008, 10:18 AM
I spoke to you a couple of times attempting to convince you to sell me the capstan. I have had Mark build tops for my boat but I know he is big into the rock crawling (not my interest) so he has done roll bars in past

msggunny
04-25-2008, 11:14 AM
I just checked the Safety Devices site, no USA dist for their 4x4 products.

They did have this listed as a motorsports dist:
http://www.xks.com/

leafsprung
04-25-2008, 02:22 PM
The ones you see places with acronyms making are of substandard quality and design. Even Jebs local hillbilly 4x4 knows what triangulation is.

EASTTNROVER
04-25-2008, 05:21 PM
I just had a racing shop build me a four post cage in the tub, connected at the top and middle, plus welded to the chassis for $600. It seemed high for how simple it looks, but consider the cost of purchasing, shipping and then welding...and the fact that I cant weld or bend pipe.

EASTTNROVER
04-25-2008, 05:46 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2190/2441169575_00279e3016.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2178/2442000420_a2e62512fb.jpg?v=0

Firemanshort
04-25-2008, 07:14 PM
http://www.allwheeltrim.co.uk/Images/Hood-frames/rollbar.JPG

http://www.allwheeltrim.co.uk/Frames.html#rollbar

I have never seen this part in person and I do not know of anyone who has pruchased it. So I can not vouch for quality or value. But this gives anyone making thier own some ideas to look at.

Leslie
04-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Safety Devices used to have a US distributor, I believe in TN. I forgot who this is, but taking a guess I might say it was Thatched Roof Garages? I could not be remembering this correctly at all... Maybe do some searching?

Once upon a time......

Alas, David's married, relocated to Florida, is back in industrial construction scheduling. TRG is no more......

SD went through a bankruptcy, relocated production into eastern Europe. Last I checked, they haven't resumed roof-rack production, but they did have their cages available. All of the previous US distributors (TRG, EE, and the racing place up in NJ... what was it's name?), I believe, had their supplies dwindled down, and no one in the US is getting them back in (yet).

KevinNY
04-26-2008, 10:39 AM
I just had a racing shop build me a four post cage in the tub, connected at the top and middle, plus welded to the chassis for $600. It seemed high for how simple it looks, but consider the cost of purchasing, shipping and then welding...and the fact that I cant weld or bend pipe.

Have any pics of the frame mounting? It looks well done.

msggunny
04-26-2008, 01:04 PM
I checked with XKS, they dont use them anymore...

EASTTNROVER
04-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Have any pics of the frame mounting? It looks well done.

I'll take a few in the morning and post em'. I was pretty happy with how it turned out...makes me feel better having the kids sit back there.

EASTTNROVER
04-27-2008, 05:32 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3188/2447342248_7323d7b5de.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3242/2447346420_5410d26cc1.jpg?v=0

Still no paint, but wondered whether we should mount here or the outrigger...seemed like the strongest spot.

wharmening
09-01-2014, 08:32 PM
do you have any questions of you roll bar for your 88

I Leak Oil
09-02-2014, 03:18 PM
do you have any questions of you roll bar for your 88
???????
This thread is over 6 years old.....What are you asking?

SafeAirOne
09-02-2014, 03:27 PM
???????
This thread is over 6 years old.....What are you asking?

Funny, when I saw that reply to this ancient thread, I instinctively ran the username through StopForumSpam.com to check if it came up as a known spammer. It didn't.

REDrum
09-02-2014, 08:11 PM
Funny, when I saw that reply to this ancient thread, I instinctively ran the username through StopForumSpam.com to check if it came up as a known spammer. It didn't.

LOL....No doubt a Bablefish thing....