PDA

View Full Version : Sprung spring in Series IIA distributor...?

VTRover
04-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Apparently the spring on the vac advance on the distributor on my 61 Series IIA is stretched. I actually found the spring off the post in the distributor - apparently because it is stretched out to the point of staying on by itself. I put it back on but am now getting very strange things like - at cold start the choke is ineffectivea and the car acts like it's missing. It just puts out a kind of puta putt not the babies breath steady exhaust as before. The idle is all over the place UNTIL the car warms up - THEN it runs just fine and has plenty of power although the idle is still a little lumpy.

New distributor?

Hey - where is the timing marks on a Series IIA anyway? I can see the notch on the pully but not the indicator.

Tim Smith
04-25-2008, 08:33 AM
If I remember correctly, my IIa had a tooth like thingy bolted to the front of the motor for quick and easy timing. I never trusted it because you can actually move it around (or remove it) quite easily. You should also have the timing marks on the back of the motor, distributor side of the pre-bell-housing? There is a plate held on with 2 bolts that you have to remove to get at it. Then it's a right so and so to view the marks with a timing light.

I have no idea about the sprung spring in your distributor. :confused: