PDA

View Full Version : SIII transfer.....divorce mount????

jimsshuman
04-25-2008, 11:05 AM
i've never seen the transfer separted from the tranny. anyone know if it possible to make the stock transfer case divorce mounted? I killed the 2.25 diesel in my '74 SIII military driving from albuquerque, nm to raleigh, nc so i'm now gonna put a cummings 4bt and a nv 4500 in it. might go with a np 205 also but already have the good stock box, so thought i'd ask. also, looks like might have to to spring over for vertical clearance to the bonnet. easy, hard, straight forward, complex???? thanks for the info.
mw

LaneRover
04-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Divorce mount is any mount that involves another woman.....

greenmeanie
04-25-2008, 02:15 PM
It's not divorced but here is an NV4500 install courtesy of TeriAnn's web site.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/lonn_V8.htm

There is also a guy on the D90 site up in Oregon who has a 4BT install with SO set up that he is selling. It's about 4 or 5 pages into the classifieds but he could be worth talking to.

Finally making a Series transfer case divorced would take some money as you will need some custom parts. You need a means of sealing the front of the case where the input shaft comes in from the gearbox and also a bearing to support the input shaft. As you cooked the existing gearbox a good place to start would be to use the rear face of the gearbox which gives you a bearing mount, seal (On wrong side of the bearing) and mating hole pattern. Just cut everything forward of the bearing mount off. You could also take your main shaft, cut it's length down and then spline it or otherwise attach the flange for the gearbox mating drive shaft. Mounting shouldn't be diffficult as you already have two feet but you will want to look at prop shafts vs cross member placement if you move the transfer case.

It sounds like an expensive route to take though.

Cheers
Gregor

yorker
04-25-2008, 03:51 PM
np-205 has a centered rear output vs. the passenger side outputs of the series t-case. A Dana 18 or Toyota Land Cruiser or NP-200 would have the rear offset you require. Adapters are more readily available for them too. They have their weaknesses but they may be your best bet.

gambrinus
04-25-2008, 10:03 PM
If you're going to look at a 4BT into a series rover, you'll be FAR better off just going with a Dana 18. CHEAP and you can get an OD for them. This makes the need for the $$$$NV4500 not so important. Just a thought.

Check this site out:

www.4btswaps.com

Also, from what I've measured, height on the 4BT isn't a problem. It's under 32" unless you're looking at a 4BTA. Even that can be plumbed tight to the engine to give you clearance. Weight is not biggie either as the engine only weighs 100lbs more than the NADA 6.

RW

TeriAnn
04-25-2008, 11:04 PM
It's not divorced but here is an NV4500 install courtesy of TeriAnn's web site.
The ever elusive Timm Cooper has/had a modification for the NV4500 that allows a series box to bolt dirctly to it. Timm did Lonn's before he came up with this mod.

Your other option is the NP435 modified by Timm or Ike to bolt to a Series transfercase with Ashcroft high ratio kit. The Series transfercase is one of the strongest around.

gambrinus
04-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Many options... many, many combinations. For a lower reving engine like the 4BT, you'll need to play with your gearing. Either diffs, or with an OD... maybe just a high ratio xfer conversion for your rover xfer case. Going the route of keeping your Rover xfer box by doing the hi-ratio conversion is $1500. Using a NV4500 for it's 5th gear OD is an expensive and LONG solution as well. NP435 and a Dana 18 is something to consider. Each can be had CHEAP. Rebuilt Warn overdrives can be had for the Dana 18 for around $500. Just a thought.

RW

jimsshuman
04-26-2008, 02:02 PM
thanks for the info, keep it coming, please. i'm trying to digest it now. i've already got the cummings and the nv 4500. the tranny is the dodge version in 2wd, hince my need for divorced mount or spend roughly a grand to change tail cones. seams as if changing stock xfer box to divorce mount is way over my and my buddies heads and my budget. i don't know if the tlc, dana 18, or np 200 can be divorce mount. pretty sure tlc can't and don't think dana can either. as for timm, how might i find him?
thanks guys

jimsshuman
04-27-2008, 12:41 PM
wow! teriann, your web site is amazing. soooo much info, hours of reading enjoyment. thanks. onward now for another question to all of you who know way more than me. what's the deal with my hard top? sorry no pictures but anyway, my truck is a 74 109 sIII diesel rhd partly/mostly military two door that just came from across the pond in 2001. so someone has added the hard top but i've seen very few pictures of another like it. no safari top and only one large window on each side. insight please!
thanks
mw

I Leak Oil
04-27-2008, 02:26 PM
Maybe consider a Suzuki Samurai case? It's divorced and would work well for you. Not sure how well it would handle the power and torque but I believe a lot of guys use it behind other decent motors. Not sure about the front drop either but would be worth looking at.
Jason T.

yorker
04-27-2008, 06:26 PM
i don't know if the tlc, dana 18, or np 200 can be divorce mount. pretty sure tlc can't and don't think dana can either.

NP200 is already divorced mount.
http://www.jobrated.com/10_M37_200np_transfer.JPG

yorker
04-27-2008, 07:16 PM
Another possibility:
http://www.ottindustries.com/divorced_toyota_tcase.html
http://www.ottindustries.com/toy-case.JPG

THE TOYOTA DIVORCED T-CASE HAS MANY POSSIBLE APPLICATIONS. WHERE EVER YOU WOULD LIKE TO PUT A T-CASE IT CAN GO. SOLID AXLE CONVERSIONS ON NISSAN, S10 TRUCKS, RANGER, BRONCO II AND OF COURSE A GREAT UPGRADE FOR YOUR SUZUKI TRANSFERCASE !

Toyota divorced T-case adapter $325.00US

OTT Industries
Vancouver
British Columbia , Canada

yorker
04-27-2008, 09:24 PM
LT230 might be another option it can be made divorced:

zf spud shaft & lt230 drive flange,bore the drive flange press over the zf spud an weld together.(should be a tight press fit over the spud)Install bolt and washer to hold the "new shaft " through the lt230 input gear.As long as the intermediate drive shaft has a slip joint installed it will not fail. Mike slade's 110 strech has had one for at least 6 years now.
http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread.php?t=5288

http://www.tawayama.com/gear/crewcab/divorcedtcase2.jpg

http://www.tawayama.com/gear/crewcab/divorcedtcase.jpg

Here are two views of the LT-230 transfer case as it is installed. The divorced-mounting allows for the weight of the driveline to be placed farther back towards the center of the truck, and also makes it very easy to service the transfer case or transmission should it be needed. The t-case has a 3-point mounting system on custom brackets. The mounts are GM transmission mounts and are identical to the mount we used on the transmission. The intermediate driveshaft uses all Spicer off the shelf parts which made it very inexpensive and easy to get parts for future servicing. This particular LT-230 has also been modified for part-time 4wd. Used in conjunction with the front axle's free-wheeling hubs we expect the front axles and CV joints to last a very long time due to the absence of constant use.

http://www.tawayama.com/gear/crewcab/crewcab.html

Eric W S
04-28-2008, 08:23 AM
wow! teriann, your web site is amazing. soooo much info, hours of reading enjoyment. thanks. onward now for another question to all of you who know way more than me. what's the deal with my hard top? sorry no pictures but anyway, my truck is a 74 109 sIII diesel rhd partly/mostly military two door that just came from across the pond in 2001. so someone has added the hard top but i've seen very few pictures of another like it. no safari top and only one large window on each side. insight please!
thanks
mw

Insight to what? It's a common top for 109's.

jimsshuman
04-30-2008, 08:39 PM
upon further inspection of my own truck (which i currently don't spend enuf time with), it indeed has two large windows on each side of the hard top, very common top indeed. for some reason, i had convinced myself it had only one and have searched all over for pictures like this, and obviously found none(approx. 50 pages of images from google). oh well, i'm not unique after all, at least not to you guys.