PDA

View Full Version : Speedo cable retainer screw size?

KevinNY
04-26-2008, 06:22 PM
Does anyone know the size of the 3 screws that retain the speedo cable housing to the transfer case?

Mercedesrover
04-27-2008, 05:06 AM
I think they're 4mm, Kevin, but i'm not really sure. Could be an 8-32 too. I just found three in my junk drawer that threaded in and cut them down to fit.

I was thinking when I was trying to install those screw that I'd like to find the guy who designed that stupid ring and those tiny screws in an inaccessable place, and go punch him in the face.

Jim-ME
04-27-2008, 06:01 AM
The only way I could get them in was with a screw starter and that was only if I held my tounge a certain way.
Jim

I Leak Oil
04-27-2008, 07:20 AM
I was thinking when I was trying to install those screw that I'd like to find the guy who designed that stupid ring and those tiny screws in an inaccessable place, and go punch him in the face.

Jim, that's exactly what I said last time I did this job. If you ever find the guy I'll be glad to hold him for you.:mad:
I haven't checked yet but was wondering if they made studs that small. Might be easier to thread a nut on than trying to get those little screws started.
Jason T.

Mercedesrover
04-27-2008, 07:55 AM
I've found that the trick is not to tighten the first one up too much once it's started. Get one just started by a couple of turns and move to the next. It's also important to make sure the cable housing is in the center of the ring. It fits into a round recess in the plate. More frustrating than difficult. The whole time you're saying to yourself "this shouldn't be this hard!".

KevinNY
04-27-2008, 08:03 AM
I found getting the threaded, spring loaded pin started that holds the ebrake fork to the linkage the harder job:( . The Hi ratio tcase sure is nice though.:thumb-up:

Tim Smith
04-27-2008, 09:43 AM
Are these retaining screws supposed to be screws or bolts? I found flat head screws on the SIII but soon lost one. I grabbed three bolts of the same size off of the SII t-case and was back in business.

Which one was correct? Screws or bolts? Or is this a SII vs SIII thang?
:confused:

Daurie
04-27-2008, 10:38 AM
I think the hex head screws make much more sense as you could use a 1/4" flexible drive handle to install them. I got the screws back in mine without too much fuss.. the overdrive sticking out all in the way didn't help.

They looked like 10-32 or 8-32 screws to me but very well could be metric. I will no doubt make note of it and get hex head replacments next time I have to fool with it.. which hopefully wont be soon.

junkyddog11
04-27-2008, 06:29 PM
british metric........7.5 x 31.5

KevinNY
04-28-2008, 04:09 PM
They turned out to be 10/32.