PDA

View Full Version : Proline?

Apis Mellifera
04-27-2008, 03:59 PM
I need a gas cap and rear springs. Anyone have opinions on Proline?

Anyone have an original second hand gas cap or useable springs for an SIII 88 for purchase?

Thanks
Matt

Bostonian1976
04-27-2008, 04:16 PM
I just bought my first Proline part - brake shoes. They were 166 dollars less than the comparable Land Rover part! Hoping they are just as good...curious on opinions as well

autoguy
04-27-2008, 10:31 PM
i bought the proline carb rebuild kit from our host and it works fine, for my weber carb :) some of the gasket material needed a slight trimming but that was all

TeriAnn
04-27-2008, 10:50 PM
I just bought my first Proline part - brake shoes. They were 166 dollars less than the comparable Land Rover part! Hoping they are just as good...curious on opinions as well

I too am bothered by RN's reluctance to name the suppliers of their non-genuine parts. I'm sure most are manufactured by top rate companies but there are some companies that I have had poor luck with and wish to avoid, such as Bearmarch. I don't understand RN's reluctance to disclose the sources for aftermarket parts. :confused:

While on the subject of brake shoes, I'm a fan of Mintex brake shoes and will gladly take them over genuine. High quality, value pricing. Hopefully your "proline" shoes are Mintex and not a Aisian pattern part. How are we to know before receiving the part. And if there is no labeling who knows what you get. I'm sure RN is mostly sourcing highest quality aftermarket parts. I just want to know who made them before I buy.

Bostonian1976
04-28-2008, 08:18 AM
I too am bothered by RN's reluctance to name the suppliers of their non-genuine parts. I'm sure most are manufactured by top rate companies but there are some companies that I have had poor luck with and wish to avoid, such as Bearmarch. I don't understand RN's reluctance to disclose the sources for aftermarket parts. :confused:

While on the subject of brake shoes, I'm a fan of Mintex brake shoes and will gladly take them over genuine. High quality, value pricing. Hopefully your "proline" shoes are Mintex and not a Aisian pattern part. How are we to know before receiving the part. And if there is no labeling who knows what you get. I'm sure RN is mostly sourcing highest quality aftermarket parts. I just want to know who made them before I buy.

oh - I thought Proline was some brand! It's just generic for RN branded stuff? I didn't know that....

Eric W S
04-28-2008, 08:30 AM
RN took time to source a producer and bring something to market. I can see their reluctance to name said producer.

If the consumer knows the producer and the producer is willing to sell direct then all of RN's work is for naught.

Good business. You'll have to trust our hosts.

The educated consumer will know the OEM suppliers, the going price for a known part and where to get it.

JimC
04-28-2008, 09:47 AM
On of the catalogs or websites from Britpart, Bearmach, or one of the other big UK suppliers is your friend.

One advantage of "store branding" is you can easily change what you offer based on what's available or what you want the price to be.

I won't buy a proline part, simply because I don't know what I'm getting.

singingcamel
04-28-2008, 09:57 AM
I would avoid the proline springs all together. proline non engine or drive train parts are ok.
I 2nd the mintex brake shoes..

TeriAnn
04-28-2008, 02:02 PM
RN took time to source a producer and bring something to market. I can see their reluctance to name said producer.

It is not a matter of bringing a part to market. Proline is RN's generic name meaning "not a genuine LR part". I have no problem with that and think it is a good idea considering that they have paper catalogues that people can hold onto forever and suppliers change as availability changes. It is a perfect solution for paper catalogues that provides a uniform marketing message and minimizes customer confusion. Good for them for coming up with the idea.

My ONLY issue with the Proline programme is that I would like to be able to get the name of the manufacturer upon request when I place my order. Then I know if it the part is made by a company I trust or one I like to stay away from.

For instance if I'm looking for pistons I look for the Hepolite brand name, when I'm looking for gaskets I look for the Payden name and of course Mintex for brake shoes. I just like to know what I'm getting before I hand over my dough.

Eric W S
04-28-2008, 03:04 PM
It is not a matter of bringing a part to market. Proline is RN's generic name meaning "not a genuine LR part". I have no problem with that and think it is a good idea considering that they have paper catalogues that people can hold onto forever and suppliers change as availability changes. It is a perfect solution for paper catalogues that provides a uniform marketing message and minimizes customer confusion. Good for them for coming up with the idea.

My ONLY issue with the Proline programme is that I would like to be able to get the name of the manufacturer upon request when I place my order. Then I know if it the part is made by a company I trust or one I like to stay away from.

For instance if I'm looking for pistons I look for the Hepolite brand name, when I'm looking for gaskets I look for the Payden name and of course Mintex for brake shoes. I just like to know what I'm getting before I hand over my dough.

Actually, Pro-line refers to what appears to be the RN in house line of parts. RN makes it clear when there are alternatives such as Lucas/Girling in their catalog and differentiates OEM from LR parts in the catalog.

Momo
04-28-2008, 03:32 PM
That begs the question, Eric. RN doesn't make the parts, so who does? It would be nice to know. For example, I know a guy who bought a Series bumper. He received it, put it in his garage, and when he tried to install it months later, the mounting brackets were incorrect. Manufacturer defect. But RN wanted a 50% restock fee. His loss; read the return policy.

But the point is, he trusted the part to be correct. We've all done that! RN has gone to great lengths to sell us on the quality of their genuine merchandise. And now they are selling us on Proline parts because the genuine parts they have pushed as matchless since day one are going away.

Those are the facts. We are lucky they have launched the Proline because without it we might well have to go without or go with crap parts from who knows where. That they do this at all shows that they're in in for more than money. But... the green oval is really not the only mark of quality, is it? I think every savvy Rover owner knows this already.

I've purchased Proline parts, and there were great. And I know that RN aims to offer parts as good as genuine, since obviously we are facing the end of genuine parts support for older cars. But still, it would be nice to know what you are getting.

I Leak Oil
04-28-2008, 05:02 PM
I could honestly care less who made the part. All I care about is that I get a quality part the RN will stand behind. The beauty of a free market is that if the parts are junk and RN, or any other re-seller for that matter, doesn't stand behind their product, I just go elsewhere. Pretty simple concept.
Other than hearing complaints about not knowing who the manufacturer is I haven't heard or experienced anything negative about the ProLine stuff.
Jason T.

Apis Mellifera
04-28-2008, 05:16 PM
So what's wrong with Proline springs?

sayers
04-28-2008, 05:36 PM
If proline was not top of the line then I am sure that rovers north would not carry it. If someone can not handle there explanation for not naming the manufacturer, then shop somewhere else. case closed.

Eric W S
04-29-2008, 03:06 PM
That begs the question, Eric. RN doesn't make the parts, so who does? It would be nice to know. For example, I know a guy who bought a Series bumper. He received it, put it in his garage, and when he tried to install it months later, the mounting brackets were incorrect. Manufacturer defect. But RN wanted a 50% restock fee. His loss; read the return policy.

But the point is, he trusted the part to be correct. We've all done that! RN has gone to great lengths to sell us on the quality of their genuine merchandise. And now they are selling us on Proline parts because the genuine parts they have pushed as matchless since day one are going away.

Those are the facts. We are lucky they have launched the Proline because without it we might well have to go without or go with crap parts from who knows where. That they do this at all shows that they're in in for more than money. But... the green oval is really not the only mark of quality, is it? I think every savvy Rover owner knows this already.

I've purchased Proline parts, and there were great. And I know that RN aims to offer parts as good as genuine, since obviously we are facing the end of genuine parts support for older cars. But still, it would be nice to know what you are getting.

I don't disagree at all. I'd like to know as well. But for whatever reason the information is not divulged.

Jason T summed it up the best. Trust them to offer the best product and customer service.

I'd also keep in mind that from the catalog, it appears as if the part is also price sensitive in some cases. A cheaper alternative. Not so much in series but more so for the coilers.

Bostonian1976
04-29-2008, 03:09 PM
I don't disagree at all. I'd like to know as well. But for whatever reason the information is not divulged.

Jason T summed it up the best. Trust them to offer the best product and customer service.

I'd also keep in mind that from the catalog, it appears as if the part is also price sensitive in some cases. A cheaper alternative. Not so much in series but more so for the coilers.

yeah - price was definitely a factor for my Series. 200 bucks for a set of brake shoes vs. 38.60 or something.....

Jim-ME
04-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Series owners need to face the fact that there is little to no money in series parts anymore. I would strongly suggest to any Series Rover owner to purchase any and all parts you may even think you need for parts support will not last forever. RN could very easily go the way of Atlantic British and not fully support Series Rovers at the same level they do Rangies, Discos, Defenders, Freelanders etc. We are fortunate that there are companies that continue to support us. The only other alternative for Series parts is to shop in England. I appologize to RovahFarm, DAP, RDS, TLR and BP for you too stock some Series parts at a reasonable price unlike several other supposed Rover people. So as far as I am concerned any part that RN sells is good enough for me. I simply could give a rat's behind who actually made it. If it does the job then it is good. If it is junk we need to let our suppliers know so that they will quit buying it.
Jim

Eric W S
04-29-2008, 06:26 PM
yeah - price was definitely a factor for my Series. 200 bucks for a set of brake shoes vs. 38.60 or something.....

It actually was a factor in the other direction. I'd question your sanity for purchasing cheap pads...

Point still stands as that is how Proline is marketed by RN. Look at rotors Proline v genuine. Or 90% of the other Proline parts...

Bostonian1976
04-29-2008, 07:26 PM
It actually was a factor in the other direction. I'd question your sanity for purchasing cheap pads...

Point still stands as that is how Proline is marketed by RN. Look at rotors Proline v genuine. Or 90% of the other Proline parts...
believe it or not, this is the first replacement part for my Rover beyond roofs and a new pertronix distributor. Are you saying I made an error?

Bostonian1976
04-29-2008, 11:10 PM
well I got my brake shoes today - that was fast considering I ordered them on Saturday. Just says Proline - not sure who made them...

Eric W S
04-30-2008, 08:32 AM
believe it or not, this is the first replacement part for my Rover beyond roofs and a new pertronix distributor. Are you saying I made an error?

Not at all! I'd say you did the right thing. 10 dollar per brake pad would be very suspect.

Sounds like you got a good Landy.

Just going with my original point of Proline marketing.

Terrys
04-30-2008, 09:27 AM
On one hand, it doesn't surprise me that many wonder about the origin of parts sold under the Pro-Line label, it really surprises me how many swear by only using "Genuine". Land Rover sources parts from so many suppliers, and changes their suppliers as often as is needed. For years, their belts were supplied by Gates, and were of a very high quality, but things changed. Without alot of effort, it's financially rewarding to find out who made the "genuine" part. Genuine injectors are more than 4 times the price than the SAME injector at the Ford dealer. A $245 Charcoal cannister in a land rover box is made by Rochester products, and available at NAPA for under $50; Same part, same part number.
My first experience with Proline was a replacement radiator for my son's RRC. It was better in every respect than the Land Rover radiator. Until I get severely burned, I will trust that RN did their homework.

thixon
04-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Enough already. Products are re-branded all the time, for various reasons.

Going forward, if anyone has a question concerning the quality of a pro-line part, then please post a thread asking for reviews from others who have bought the part. If it sucks, then you'll find out. If its great, then you'll have the knowledge you need to feel good about the purchase.

Geez.

daveb
04-30-2008, 12:48 PM
After 13 years of running series trucks, $40 for an 88" axle set sounds about right. $200? Someone is off their meds.

Eric W S
04-30-2008, 03:23 PM
After 13 years of running series trucks, $40 for an 88" axle set sounds about right. $200? Someone is off their meds.

Full Brake Job. Drums and Pads is what I assume Bostonian was refering to . . .

So no, it's about right.

Bostonian1976
04-30-2008, 03:45 PM

So no, it's about right.

no, just the 'genuine' shoes are 200 bucks...

Bostonian1976
04-30-2008, 03:46 PM
actually looks like it has changed - $307 a set.....

http://roversnorth.com/store/p-6313-brake-shoes-10-bonded-series-iiiia-iii.aspx (http://roversnorth.com/forums/../store/p-6313-brake-shoes-10-bonded-series-iiiia-iii.aspx)

vs. $36.50

http://roversnorth.com/store/p-4893-brake-shoes-10-bonded-axle-set-front-or-rear.aspx

yorker
04-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Cant you rivet new friction material to your old shoes? ;)

daveb
05-01-2008, 08:05 PM
sigh...

So no, it's about right.