PDA

View Full Version : Strange problems with my Rover

zerocanon
04-29-2008, 09:17 AM
I have a 1993 Range Rover Classic LWB. For the past couple of months, I've been having an intermittent loss of power when I apply a certain amount of throttle like when I am climbing a hill or cruising on the interstate. Not a complete loss of power, just enough to feel it slow down a bit. I am getting a fault code 17 on the diagnostic display. I've done a continuity test on the TPS and it seems fine.

I was leaning towards it being a problem with the TPS anyway. I noticed, however, that if it's not happening, I can make the engine lose power by using something electrical. For example, I'm cruising on the interstate at 70 and turn on the blinker, or heated seat, or put the window down and it will lose power.

So is this loss of power when using electrical accessories a common symptom for a bad TPS or something else?

CJH
04-29-2008, 01:29 PM
They can have intermittent spots. It's basically a rheostat sending a variable resistance signal to the ECU.

Should be a procedure for reploacement in Bentley, but typically you measure the resistance with the throttle closed. Install the new sensor & adjust its position to match the original's resiatance value.

57loboy
04-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Make sure the alternator is up to snuff too.... You're perhaps adding a load it can't handle and it is manifesting itself through loss in power - likely the ignition getting weaker.

zerocanon
04-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Okay, thanks for the advice guys. I'll check those things out!:thumb-up:

zerocanon
05-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Update...

While en route the the Vermonster 4x4 event in Bradford this weekend, the Rover completely died once while stopping at a stop sign but restarted with no trouble. I arrived in Bradford with no further trouble. However upon starting the rover when I was getting ready to leave; I flipped on the headlights and instantly thought the thing was possessed. All of the warning lights came on VERY brightly, the radio let out a loud squaking sound, the tachometer, fuel and temperature gauge all pegged at maximum, various relays were clicking and, what I assume are the ABS valves, started firing causing the brake pedal to shudder. I immediately turned off the ignition.

I cautiously restarted the rover and everything seemed normal save for the EAS buttons flashing and staying on. I made it back home but experienced the light show 2 more times. At this point I decided to get the battery and alternator tested and indeed it was a problem with the alternator and a new one is now on it's way.

Now, unfortunately, the EAS now needs to be reset but I figure it could be worse... I could have melted a wiring harness or fried some relays.

57loboy
05-05-2008, 07:41 AM
It's amazing how much weird stuff occurs in Rovers from a bad alternator. I've not seen so much variety from any other car I've been into... Glad you solved it!