PDA

View Full Version : Disk brake conversion

JayGoss
04-29-2008, 05:51 PM
I've been mulling over the cost/benefit ratio of disk brake conversion for a series rover. Before I drop over $2k per axle I was hoping someone out there may have done the conversion and can comment on the braking improvement over stock drums w/dual master. Any takers?

O'Brien
04-29-2008, 06:16 PM
check out TeriAnn's page in regard to your question:

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/discBrake.htm

JayGoss
04-29-2008, 10:32 PM
thanks Matt- I've seen some of her other info and she's very informative. Did a search here and didn't come up with anything so hopefully TerriAnn will come through once again!

thixon
04-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Just my opinion, but it depends on how you use the truck.

I feel the conversion in a series truck is awefully expensive, so for me theres a diminishing marginal utility thing going on there.

Other trucks I've done conversions on (like an fj 40, and an old jeep) were worth it just becuase it was much cheaper on those trucks, so I figures what the heck.

If you are towing heavy items alot, or are doing a lot of rough off roading, then I'd say go for it. My quess is you are'nt, otherwise you'd be looking at axle conversions (and the brakes would go along with that project).

The dual master cylinder is a much better use of funds (and a safety upgrade from the single) on a series truck, and it sounds like you've already done that.

TeriAnn
04-30-2008, 05:43 PM
thanks Matt- I've seen some of her other info and she's very informative. Did a search here and didn't come up with anything so hopefully TerriAnn will come through once again!

I'm sorry nothing useful on that page????

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/discBrake.htm

I feel like I just wasted a couple day's research and documentation :(

Braking improvement is purely subjective without some very specialized tools & a team of people. I tried to avoid a subjective opinion on that web page. Personally, I think my brakes work better on dry pavement after the disc brake conversion than before. But this is purely subjective. Of course I only spend a little over $1000 total for both front axles so can not comment about the expensive upgrade.

After a water crossing , backing down a hill and trying to keep the 109 stationary, nose up on a hill is where the BIG improvements are.

O'Brien
04-30-2008, 06:27 PM
TeriAnn

i think he may not have been able to load the page for some reason. fear not, your research is ALWAYS helpful, and not a minute has been wasted:thumb-up:

glad to see you back after a posting absence!

your disc break conversion page has helped me quite a bit when thinking about moving that direction, and im sure im not the only one!

yorker
04-30-2008, 06:34 PM
I could see it for a 109 but in an 88" with the standard engine I think the drum brakes are fine.

JayGoss
04-30-2008, 07:26 PM
TeriAnn

i think he may not have been able to load the page for some reason. fear not, your research is ALWAYS helpful, and not a minute has been wasted:thumb-up:

your disc break conversion page has helped me quite a bit when thinking about moving that direction, and im sure im not the only one!

YES!!! Matt is right! TerriAnn- I was unable to find anything here at RN forum when doing a search. After getting Matt's response with the link to your brake page I was unable to load the page for some reason. I was, however, able to look today and everything I was wondering about is there- like I said about other things I've seen on your site, it was VERY informative! Sorry that didn't come out the way I meant it- I appreciate all the work you've done and I've learned a lot from you. Keep up the good work. -Jay

TeriAnn
04-30-2008, 11:54 PM
TeriAnn

Uh Thanks, but my posting absence was basically topics that I didn't feel I could make a meaningful contribution to. I'm trying not to post just to see myself in print. If there is something I can't contribute to or if what I might say has already been said there's no reason for me to post.

Though my post to this thread was mostly about dismay at someone not finding anything useful about disc brake conversions on my web page about disc brake conversions. Its basically a frivolous posting.:o

JayGoss
05-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Uh Thanks, but my posting absence was basically topics that I didn't feel I could make a meaningful contribution to. I'm trying not to post just to see myself in print. If there is something I can't contribute to or if what I might say has already been said there's no reason for me to post.

Though my post to this thread was mostly about dismay at someone not finding anything useful about disc brake conversions on my web page about disc brake conversions. Its basically a frivolous posting.:o

TeriAnn- just to clarify- was not in a state of "dismay"- I was simply unable to find related topics using the search function here, at RN website BBS. Matt was thoughtful and offered a link to your website which I found very helpful.

I Leak Oil
05-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Although I don't have the RN kit, my disc setup is a vast improvement over my drums. The truck stops straight, no problems when wet, non of the "these work great when in top nick" problems associated with drums. Ever have water get into drums then freeze? not fun... A significant improvement in my opinion.
Jason T.

scatterling
05-01-2008, 03:59 PM
what disc setup do you have?