PDA

View Full Version : Trailering to Outer Banks

PH4
04-29-2008, 10:38 PM
I am going fromCharleston, SC, to the Outer Banks of North Carolina and want to take my Series as you can drive it on the beach. I want to take it but need to tow it as 1) no overdrive and 2) have a short amount of time. Having someone else tow it is cost prohibitive ($3 a mile) and I do not want to use a death dolly to tow it by the front two wheels. Any suggestions from anyone in the area? A flat bed trailer to rent? How have others transported their series at a distance? Any advice appreciated.

Bostonian1976
04-29-2008, 10:57 PM
I transported mine 140 miles by Uhaul trailer...no issues at all....50 bucks to rent for the day...(as long as you bring it back to the same location). Different location should run you about 180 or so I think. The trailer was very stable. I kept it at a max of 60-65 at most.....I was very impressed how easy the whole thing was...

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/gallery/data/516/Blue3.JPG

galen216
04-30-2008, 07:14 AM
What do you plan to tow with? I have flat-towed both of mine all over and they do fine. I have front FWH and unbolt the rear shaft. I like not having the drivetrain turning while towing.

I have used U-Haul trailers too and they work well but they are heavy and expensive if you don't return them to the same place.

msggunny
04-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Get a tow bar for it and flat tow it.

When are you headed up that way?

PH4
04-30-2008, 11:03 AM
I plan on using a Toyota 4 Runner with a v6. Has anyone who has done this before believe that would be underpowered? Bostonian1976, how did your FJ perform and what engine does it have. I would like to rent a truck to pull it but most rental places do not allow.

Bostonian1976
04-30-2008, 12:13 PM
I plan on using a Toyota 4 Runner with a v6. Has anyone who has done this before believe that would be underpowered? Bostonian1976, how did your FJ perform and what engine does it have. I would like to rent a truck to pull it but most rental places do not allow.

same engine as you if your 4Runner has the 4.0. It did fine - I have a manual in the FJ so I had to shift down to 4-5 a few times, but smooth sailing otherwise...

daveb
04-30-2008, 12:37 PM
save yoursself the trouble, take the series. you won't regret it.

spend the time you would be futzing with the trailer rental etc and take the scenic route to ocracoke:

http://tinyurl.com/6nwaw9

work your way up the shore from there.

the 4runner will not be able to pull the series @ any faster than the series an drive, and this way you get to stay on the shore and leave 95 for the pissed off commuters. in a series the fun begins when you get behind the wheel.

galen216
04-30-2008, 12:46 PM
DaveB has a point. I used an F150 with a 300 I-6 and I could do about 60mph top speed. Your four-runner can handle it but you'll be going Series speeds.

I have driven 8-hours to MAR twice with no OD and never felt I needed it at any point in the drive.

msggunny
04-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Just take 17 all the way up. Stay off I 40 or you will get runt overd.

PH4
04-30-2008, 07:24 PM
I may just drive it up as MSGUNNY has suggested. I have a limited amount of time but may take an extra day to drive it up. We used to spend two weeks every August surf fishing on Hatteras growing up and used my uncle's CJ5 to get around the beach. I plan on a post and subsequent trip waxoxyl treatment. Any suggested spare parts to take in case of breakdown? I have been stranded by Series on HWY 17 enough times that that is reason I desire to tow.

BirdNerd
04-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Jason,

Every time you post those pics of you towing my SIIA away, I want to kick myself!!

Nice flip-flops---definetly the footware of choice when loading a truck onto a trailer!!

(seriously, glad to see it got a good home--my grass is growing back!!)

BN

Bostonian1976
04-30-2008, 11:07 PM
Ha P I didn't realize you frequented the rn board - don't worry the blue sw is getting a new frame this summer and a full restore - you'll have to have a look when it's complete!

By the way I'll be wearing flip flops the whole time I'm working on it :)

daveb
05-01-2008, 08:01 PM
By the way I'll be wearing flip flops the whole time I'm working on it :)

thanks for sharing :)

FYI I learned in Hawaii those are called "slippers" or so says the gf...

Just don't drop anything heavy, or hot. Real fun when you start grinding and cutting.

Bostonian1976
05-02-2008, 10:42 AM
thanks for sharing :)

FYI I learned in Hawaii those are called "slippers" or so says the gf...

Just don't drop anything heavy, or hot. Real fun when you start grinding and cutting.

ha - I'm sure I'll be wearing something more substantial when I pull the truck apart...

already have a new breakfast lined up, as well as someone to work on the bulkhead.....just need to buy a new frame and I'll be (sort of) in good shape..

scott
05-03-2008, 01:55 PM
i used a tow bar. drug mine over 800 miles. front hubs unlocked, in 4th gear with transfer case in neutral. used the wife's lr3. hit 90 mph once passing a tractor trailer. only problem was the rubber boot on the prop shaft ripped apart. guess it did like that little sprint