X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1961 109 WAGON
    2nd Gear
    • Dec 2006

2 1/4 liter engine paint ?

what is the closest color in a spray can that looks like the oem green paint ? maybe some paint from autozone??
  • daveb
    5th Gear
    • Nov 2006

krylon jade green is not a perfect match but works well. use a high heat primer and several coats for a better result than i had with mine. i think i recall somewhere seeing detroit diesel alpine green being used as well.

Originally posted by 1961 109 WAGON
    what is the closest color in a spray can that looks like the oem green paint ? maybe some paint from autozone??
    A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."

Comment

• 1961 109 WAGON
      2nd Gear
      • Dec 2006

thanks, thats what i needed to know!

Comment

• 1961 109 WAGON
        2nd Gear
        • Dec 2006

well ive been EVERYWHERE and no one has either paint

Comment

• sven
          1st Gear
          • Dec 2006

My local napa can order the detroit diesel paint. Try your local Napa. Ive seen them on ebay too.
          99 D1
          73 Series III 88"
          95 RRC LWB

Comment

• thixon
            5th Gear
            • Jul 2007

You can usually find the detroit desiel alpine green at an auto parts store. I'm surprised NAPA did'nt carry it. Autozone, or some place like that should have it. Keep trying locally before you resort to ordering.
            Travis
            '66 IIa 88

Comment

• Momo
              3rd Gear
              • Dec 2006

Walmart has both...the krylon is a closer match
              '60 SII Station Wagon
              '64 SIIA 109 Regular
              '68 SIIA 88 Station Wagon

Comment

• 1961 109 WAGON
                2nd Gear
                • Dec 2006

ill try "yall" mart today , nope, napa did not have it

Comment

• Sandglow
                  Low Range
                  • Jan 2008

Plastikote "Alpine Green" engine enamel is near perfect. I was very pleased with the results. You can get this paint at Carquest.

Comment

• TJR
                    2nd Gear
                    • Dec 2006

What years did they use that pale green color? My '73 ser III as far as I can tell, was not painted that way, nor was a '72 ser III I stripped down,

When I see pics of a restored series rovers w/a nicely painted pale-green block and no oil leaks, w/o the accessories also painted over.. ,, I guess they kindda look ok, But a Bright green motor covered in oil ,mud or dirt just doesn't seem appealing to me? Did they ever just paint the block black? TJR

Comment

• greenmeanie
                      Overdrive
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by TJR
                      What years did they use that pale green color? My '73 ser III as far as I can tell, was not painted that way, nor was a '72 ser III I stripped down,
                      TJR
                      Eau de nil or whatever the fancy name for hospital green is usually a sign of a military overhauled engine. THe military engines would have vome from the factory in standard colours.

IIRC original civvy engines came in black and red with a natural metal rocker cover.

Someone will no doubt be along in a minute to correct me on that.

Cheers
                      Gregor

Comment

• PH4
                        3rd Gear
                        • Jan 2007

I had a military engine and it was red for what it is worth.

Comment

• thixon
                          5th Gear
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by greenmeanie
                          Eau de nil or whatever the fancy name for hospital green is usually a sign of a military overhauled engine. THe military engines would have vome from the factory in standard colours.

IIRC original civvy engines came in black and red with a natural metal rocker cover.

Someone will no doubt be along in a minute to correct me on that.

Cheers
                          Gregor
                          Gregor,

I've been curious about this for a while. My old trucks motor was black before I overhauled it. There was no other color under the black paint, and I'm pretty sure that motor had never been overhauled before.

Was there a year range for the black or the red, or was it just hit or miss?
                          Travis
                          '66 IIa 88

Comment

• Eric W S
                            5th Gear
                            • Dec 2006

It's not green. The official paint is BS Sky Blue. You can get it shipped in engine paint form from ebay. Google BS Sky blue color codes. Get the formula and have someone mix it for you.

Unless your doing a concours restoration, paint it whatever color you like. Hell Ike had a sweet dark green POR-15 enamel on a recent project.

Comment

• yorker
                              Overdrive
                              • Nov 2006

Military rebuilds were painted all over(valve covers etc) with the green, not just the head and block. I'm pretty sure the head and block on 1960's and 1970's LRs was that green as well. Later Engines were a red color IIRC.
                              1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

Working...