PDA

View Full Version : polished aluminum Series body

LH Drive
05-03-2008, 08:04 AM
My Series rover original color is Marine Blue and has two more coats of paint over that, final top color is White that I do not like. Plans were to strip to bare metal and re-coat with original color. Strip one panel each week while still driving the rover till it's all ready then paint. So I thought of another Idea.
The shop I work at used to offer metal polishing as a service. They still have some equipment to do small jobs and every once in a while the boss will polish up some house hold items,,brass,stainless steel, aluminum. So I asked if I could polish up some LR series parts and they gave me the go ahead. Well,,I'm no expert but with the help of other shop guys that used to do this everyday i decided to polish up my Series truck. Yep,,the whole aluminum body. I know that in order to keep that fresh polished shine I'll have to hit it every couple of months. I've seen pictures of stripped bare aluminum Series Rovers and like that look. The weather will turn my polished work into a nice flat patina in time. I can always shoot marine blue paint over the bare metal next year.
I've polished the vent covers and the front apron so far. It's very bright when the sun light hits it. I'm glad that most Police officers wear dark sunglasses or I might get pulled over:D

Firemanshort
05-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Bling.. Bling!!

Paul Rossmann
05-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Clearcoat it... but what about the bulkhead?

msggunny
05-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Clearcoat it... but what about the bulkhead?

Just get it chromed!

siii8873
05-04-2008, 09:50 AM
I think the bulkhead would look best galvanized. Alotr of work but goes with the rest of the vehicle galvanized trim (Rover Chrome as I call it)

LH Drive
05-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Found this picture of a bare aluminum Series 2. Maybe this will be the way to go after its all done. Wet sand it up to 400 or 600 sand paper and try to leave more of a brushed metal look. This would tone the shine down so I don't blind traffic. Keep all the galvanized trim the same. Paint the steel breakfast, bulkhead, wheels and door frames a dark gray color or close to a galvanized shade. I still like the polished body idea and i'm still headed in that direction. If I don't like the results I can always dull the shine. Wish I could have Chip Foose draw me up a rendition so I could see how it will look. Maybe I could come up with my own color sketch.

Rat Patrol
05-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Shades and SPF 30:cool:

JimC
05-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Blind the traffic and buy an airstream.

greenmeanie
05-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Wish I could have Chip Foose draw me up a rendition so I could see how it will look. Maybe I could come up with my own color sketch.

I feel we are heading for a first on the series forum - "Does anyone have a set of dubs to fit a SIII"

xsbowes
05-04-2008, 11:35 PM
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2073/10249131/19458865/316022743.jpg

This one is for sale at Landy-Point.de 29000 Euro.