PDA

View Full Version : Installing Tuffy Box in a Series II

vtsnowplow
05-03-2008, 10:30 AM
I am trying to install a tuffy box in a series II and I have some questions before we go ahead with the project. If anyone has any info to make it easier, please chime in.

When placing the box in the center space, there seems to be a lip on the seat deck in the back that is getting in the way. It does not seem as the box will sit flush with the bottom or the back. Do I need to make a shim of some sort?

If I avoided the the lip on the back, the box would rest too far forward, and interfere with the the shifter. Any details pics would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

nick

msggunny
05-03-2008, 03:31 PM
I just tore my seat box out, i will try and post some pictures of it later.

Its not hard to do.

adkrover
05-04-2008, 02:34 PM
My Tuffy box came with longer bolts and shims for the back so it will ride over the lip. The extra hardware was nothing special so I'm sure you could rig something up. Try cutting a piece of 1/2" steel conduit (tubing) or copper pipe to the proper length and just pick up some longer bolts at the hardware store to run through the tubing (shim). You could also slip a few oversized nuts over the bolt for shims. I installed mine with bolts coming up through the seat box and into the Tuffy box. I held them in place with a set of nuts on the seat box so I wouldn't have to reach under the seat box to remove the Tuffy box. That way the bolts stay attached to the truck if I need to pull the box for access to the gearbox. In the front, I attached some small angle brackets to the outside sides of the box that are the fixing point for the front bolts. I think the reason was that I couldn't get good access in the front of the box. Mine is fitted with the radio compartment in the front and my hands are too big to fit into there. You may have a different box.