PDA

View Full Version : ludwig still thinks he is a diesel, aka still knocking

autoguy
05-03-2008, 10:36 PM
well ludwig still thinks he is a diesel, he is still knocking

what we have done

set the timing at 0, tried it at 3 and 6 and the knocking was worse at 6 degrees and he still knocks

he has oil and it is not milky and it does not have any radiator fluid in it, so we dont think it is a head gasket

we set the valves and ludwig is running even smoother than he was before, he fires right up with the choke and he idles nice and smooth :)

he does not knock when he is revved when he is out of gear

he only knocks when he is in gear and you take off aka release the clutch,he does it in first gear thru third, we ran out of time today to take him for a spin around the block, we have a fair sloping hill that we test him on :)

he has power or at least as much power as a series rover has :D

he has new ignition components and new spark plugs, they are autolites that where the replacements for the ngk,s

we are not thinking bearings, because in our mind he would be knocking constantly, we are leaning toward the gearbox or the transfer case

anyone got any suggestions ? :confused:

PH4
05-03-2008, 10:52 PM
I had some knocking under acceleration that ended up with a thrown rod. My two cents is do not ignore as I did and end up with a $$$$$ problem.

autoguy
05-03-2008, 11:17 PM
I had some knocking under acceleration that ended up with a thrown rod. My two cents is do not ignore as I did and end up with a $$$$$ problem.

thanks, i will put it on the list of things to check out tomorrow :)

the noise sounds like it is coming from the passenger side but it is hard to pinpoint

autoguy
05-04-2008, 01:57 PM
any more ideas ? or should I get out the gremlin killing cigar and start blowing smoke on the engine and chanting gremlins be gone :D

it worked with my scoot once :)

Donnie
05-05-2008, 07:34 PM
well ludwig still thinks he is a diesel, he is still knocking

what we have done

set the timing at 0, tried it at 3 and 6 and the knocking was worse at 6 degrees and he still knocks

he has oil and it is not milky and it does not have any radiator fluid in it, so we dont think it is a head gasket

we set the valves and ludwig is running even smoother than he was before, he fires right up with the choke and he idles nice and smooth :)

he does not knock when he is revved when he is out of gear

he only knocks when he is in gear and you take off aka release the clutch,he does it in first gear thru third, we ran out of time today to take him for a spin around the block, we have a fair sloping hill that we test him on :)

he has power or at least as much power as a series rover has :D

he has new ignition components and new spark plugs, they are autolites that where the replacements for the ngk,s

we are not thinking bearings, because in our mind he would be knocking constantly, we are leaning toward the gearbox or the transfer case

anyone got any suggestions ? :confused:
The transfer box does not know or care what gear you are in, if you noise is gear sensitive, I would investigate there first...I don't know if 4th is direct or not in this box, someone with more knowledge than me will chime in later and help you...

autoguy
05-05-2008, 07:43 PM

I called BP help line today and they said it was probably the thrust washers on the crankshaft, which makes sense if they are worn :) over the weekend we will drop the oil pan and investigate :)