PDA

View Full Version : Get out your checkbooks

thixon
05-05-2008, 08:48 AM
I'm pretty sure this one will go fast....to the ebay grave yard for unbid auctions.

Nice looking truck though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-SERIES-2A-SWB-88-LAND-ROVER-S2A-88-SWB-1964FULLY-RESTORED_W0QQitemZ150243814952QQcmdZViewItem?hash= item150243814952&

sven
05-05-2008, 09:01 AM
The cappings and bumper arent even galvanized. That guy is nuts!:rolleyes:

xsbowes
05-05-2008, 09:03 AM
S3 doortops, steering on the wrongside for British import, maybe one too many zero's on the price.

Eric W S
05-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Rivets look funny as well. Nice looking truck, but I wouldn't pay for it.

jp-
05-05-2008, 11:19 AM
The cappings and bumper arent even galvanized. That guy is nuts!:rolleyes:

...and bolts.

Stupid. Just stupid. Maybe he could sell it to Charles Kellogg and he could turn around and sell it for $85,000.

TeriAnn
05-05-2008, 12:03 PM
.Stupid. Just stupid. Maybe he could sell it to Charles Kellogg and he could turn around and sell it for $85,000.

Say what you may about Charles personally and his business practices but every Land Rover I have seen that his company did a complete restoration on looked every bit correct and like it came out of the LR factory assembly line earlier that day. All I have seen is first rate restoration work. Yes his full restorations are very expensive but so are parts & labour.

TeriAnn
05-05-2008, 12:34 PM
S3 doortops, steering on the wrongside for British import, maybe one too many zero's on the price.

Steering is correct for an ex-MoD army of the Rhine 88. And it has every appearance of being an ex-military LR built for use in Germany. The only strange thing I see is that the hand brake lever is in the RHD position.

It looks like they rebuilt it with SIII door tops, radiator, windscreen washer system & a Weber carb. Its obviously been stripped down & painted. Unfortunately it appears as though the the galvanized cappings have been painted over instead of regalvanized. The hard top side windows are common UK aftermarket, as are the floor coverings. It appears the hard top was originally windowless.

The wheels are common UK wheels. I get the feeling that this is a UK "restoration" just because the aftermarket parts used are common in the UK and not the US and the turn signal switch is in the RHD location. A North American would never put it on that side.

To me, except for the painted over cappings, it appears to be a nice looking rebuild that used new aftermarket parts where needed. Certainly not a restoration but a nice looking rebuild. If the drive train is fresh I think it could go for as high as $10K. Only a small part of the exhaust is visible & it appears new. Personally I would have started the auction at around $3K and put as reserve at $8K.

On the other hand, I just don't know what to make of that shift leaver. Something besides the boot appears odd to me.

Jim-ME
05-05-2008, 02:03 PM
The price is what the price is. It will be fun to see if it sells.
Jim

jp-
05-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Steering is correct for an ex-MoD army of the Rhine 88. And it has every appearance of being an ex-military LR built for use in Germany.

What makes you think that? I don't see a square rear crossmember? What distinguishing features do you see that I am missing?

Also, gauges, seats, and side steps are all wrong. Face it, the truck is a bitsa.

daveb
05-05-2008, 04:09 PM
arrangement of lights on the front wings is vertical per most MOD vehicles.

8 blade fan and double v-belt pulleys

military style bumper

evidence a tailgate was fitted

flat smiths heater common to MOD use

different ignition light switch from civvy models

spring latches for bonnet

Home-market style headlight surrounds (non MOD though)

looks like a SIII dash cluster. are BOTH charge lights connected? :)

lots of other inconsistencies too.

it is a bitsa and not worth anywhere near the proposed cost.

What makes you think that? I don't see a square rear crossmember? What distinguishing features do you see that I am missing?

Also, gauges, seats, and side steps are all wrong. Face it, the truck is a bitsa.

smactek
05-06-2008, 05:43 AM
Interesting Vehicle. Did the MOD versions Not use throttle control lever and linkage? I thought that was another item that was used due to its versatility for implements that were offered for that model of rover.

Daurie
05-06-2008, 06:15 AM
Whats the deal with the bumper? I've never seen the over riders so wide and have a cut out in them? (top, toward inside each overrider) And I've never seen the hand brake on the wrong side.

TeriAnn
05-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Interesting Vehicle. Did the MOD versions Not use throttle control lever and linkage? I thought that was another item that was used due to its versatility for implements that were offered for that model of rover.

A hand throttle is an option, not standard fittment.MoD versions were made to contract specs. The specs between a LR intended for use on an air port apron would be quite different from those of a LR intended to be uses by the commandos.

TeriAnn
05-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Whats the deal with the bumper? I've never seen the over riders so wide and have a cut out in them? (top, toward inside each overrider) And I've never seen the hand brake on the wrong side.

There are different versions of military bumper overriders and that is a version I have seen on several military LRs.

The handbrake in the RHD location on a LHD vehicle does seem a bit odd. But the rebuild appears to have been done in the UK and if the brake assembly was damaged and required replacement a RHD version would be easily available.

Rather than being a bits truck, I suspect it was rebuilt in the UK by someone more concerned with replacing bad parts with new ones and not someone concerned about maintaining concourse originality. Could be the military released the truck without door tops.

Whenever someone over prices a LR for sale you guys act like circling sharks, each going in for a quick strike. Suddenly any deviation from a 100 point concourse Land Rover is subject for disdain. sigh

daveb
05-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Whenever someone over prices a LR for sale you guys act like circling sharks, each going in for a quick strike. Suddenly any deviation from a 100 point concourse Land Rover is subject for disdain. sigh

if you try to sell a LR for $65,000 yeah...

LaneRover
05-06-2008, 10:29 AM

I agree. If this was a picture of a truck that one of us rebuilt then people would be saying what an awesome little truck it is. There might be a question or two about the handbrake lever or the wheels but many, many of us would be very impressed or even jealous. But try to sell a Land Rover with no historic ownership or not 100% correct for that much and of course folks are going to point out what is wrong.

Now, if the seller can get that price than more power to him/her!! There are definitely people with more money than they know what to do with in this world!

Brent

TeriAnn
05-06-2008, 10:33 AM

I would sell my Land Rover for $65,000, likely even $50,000 but for not much less. It costs $$$$ to design and build a replacement expedition rig when you are having the work done by an experieinced fabricator.

Start with a 101 frame, extend it to around 120 inch wheelbase, replace the 3.5 V8 with a Cummins 6BT, add volvo portal axles, lower the suspension a bit to get the centre of gravity down a bit, mount a widened SIIB cab at the front and a custom pop up RV like rear body and more. All that would cost $$$$ that the sale of my current expedition Land rover would have to cover.

LaneRover
05-06-2008, 10:57 AM
I would sell my Land Rover for $65,000, likely even $50,000 but for not much less. It costs $$$$ to design and build a replacement expedition rig when you are having the work done by an experieinced fabricator.

Start with a 101 frame, extend it to around 120 inch wheelbase, replace the 3.5 V8 with a Cummins 6BT, add volvo portal axles, lower the suspension a bit to get the centre of gravity down a bit, mount a widened SIIB cab at the front and a custom pop up RV like rear body and more. All that would cost $$$$ that the sale of my current expedition Land rover would have to cover.

Yes I agree that it would cost that much to do all sorts of stuff and no you wouldn't sell your Rover for much less. But it also doesn't mean that someone would buy it for that. Of course the seller doesn't have to sell for less than they are asking.

But when you ask a lot of money for something (like $65K) you kind of have to expect people to pick it apart. On the reverse side people will pick it apart if you charge to little (ie - whats wrong with it?)

Everyone has the right to do what they want with their Rover and to try and sell it for what they want to get. Everyone else has the right to agree or disagree with what they do - or don't do and everyone has the right to bitch about the price - if they want to.

In the end it is worth what someone will pay - not what the seller thinks it is worth.

thixon
05-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Rather than being a bits truck, I suspect it was rebuilt in the UK by someone more concerned with replacing bad parts with new ones and not someone concerned about maintaining concourse originality. Could be the military released the truck without door tops.]

Whats the difference?

[quote=TeriAnn] Whenever someone over prices a LR for sale you guys act like circling sharks, each going in for a quick strike. Suddenly any deviation from a 100 point concourse Land Rover is subject for disdain. sigh

TA,
What's wrong with you today? You usually don't post with attitude!

Circling sharks? Most of us just think its funny when crooks or fools post auctions that arent realistic. At that point its fun to bring to light why we think the item isnt worth the asking price. Those who are new to rovers learn something, and those of us (myself not included) who know our stuff get to show off a bit (and maybe duel back and forth).

Take it easy, sit back, enjoy the board, and don't go all high and mighty on us.

jp-
05-06-2008, 11:44 AM

You leave yourself open for this, so I'm going to point it out. For sale is one thing, as in a classified ad. Any person can ask whatever they want for their vehicle in that instance. The irony is that ebay is an auction site. That means that we, the buyers, set the price. Auctions should be set low and they will rise to the level that the buyers deem acceptable. Putting a Land Rover like that on there for that price, and it will be picked apart by anyone. The seller obviously has a very unrealistic idea of the vehicles worth. In this instance he should have set the starting bid at $1000 (or whatever) and put his reserve at $65,000. No one would know it, and when the truck failed to sell he would gain a better understanding of its actual value.

I don't doubt that the expedition vehicle that you are talking about with special axles, engine, transmission, etc... would cost alot to duplicate. But you are talking about a different kind of vehicle than the one offered here. It is misrepresented at the very least as being correctly restored.

jp-
05-06-2008, 11:45 AM
[quote=TeriAnn]

Circling sharks? Most of us just think its funny when crooks or fools post auctions that arent realistic. At that point its fun to bring to light why we think the item isnt worth the asking price. Those who are new to rovers learn something, and those of us (myself not included) who know our stuff get to show off a bit (and maybe duel back and forth).

Take it easy, sit back, enjoy the board, and don't go all high and mighty on us.

+1

I despise crooks myself.

yorker
05-06-2008, 11:48 AM
TA,
What's wrong with you today? You usually don't post with attitude!

see here:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13804