PDA

View Full Version : New Series III 109 owner.

Tom Santoli
05-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Hello,

I've recently purchased a 1975 Series III 109 Station Wagon from the owner of the company I work for; years ago, my father and I restored an 88inch Series III and I've been interested since.

I also own a Unimog 404 that I think is a little jealous right now.

I would love to learn more about the history and import details for the truck; I seem to remember a registry or similar resource that could get this info from the VIN; anyone have any details?

I know there is a search function on the list and I will use it for the many upcoming questions but I thought I'd put two out there now;

How much frame rust/ rot is an issue and how much is typical of the make?

What is the best resource for service and user manuals for this truck.

Thanks very much in advance,

Tom

greenmeanie
05-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Welcome Tom,

Vin # decoder
http://www.clifton.nl/index.html?calvin.html

If you want paper copies of manuals our hosts or ebay have them. If you want electroinic copies they can be downloaded off the net. I think Yorker has the link.

Typical frame rot is dependent on where the truck has lived it's life. I've a 71 swb still on a perfect never patched original frame but it's always been a desert truck. My 109 has been in Iowa, Colorado and Montana at least and has had a couple of outriggers replaced. It also had extensive surface rust but nothing structural. I just spent a solid weekend underneath with a wire wheel cleaning the aft half of the chassis down to bare metal. Over in the north east it seems frame replacement is the norm.

The usual tricks apply to checking a frame - get underneath with a small hammer or similar implement and tap the metal. Good steel rings while rust patches will thud - bad rust will swallow the hammer in the newly created hole. These box frames rust from the inside out so flaking rust on the outside bodes ill for the general condition. There are a lot of mud traps on these chassis so spend some time going over it.

The good news is you can buy new frame section/outriggers etc. from our hosts or a full replacement chassis.

The other two areas to check for rust are the bulkhead (footwells, door posts, upper corners and the rail under the windscreen - OK the whole thing really.) and the breakfast (usually along the bottom mounting lip.)

Again, our hosts sell good replacement panels for the bulkhead and some decent fab skills can rejuvenate them. There is also a healthy trade in used no longer available parts that goes on among owners - you just have to figure out what you need.

That's about it really. Good luck and enjoy your first brush with British sense of humour when it comes to electrical systems.

Cheers
Gregor

scatterling
05-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Greetings Tom,
Where in Eastern PA are you?

Tom Santoli
05-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the help;

The CalVIN search decoded the VIN from my LHD, 4 cylinder 109 as a RHD, 6 cylinder model; possible explanations? Is it possible the original engine was swapped out in favo of a 4 cylinder and the truck co nverted to RHD?

Seems unlikely based on the appeaence of the truck.

I'm in Chester County, 40 miles west od Philadelphia.

Tom

O'Brien
05-06-2008, 08:06 PM
The CalVIN search decoded the VIN from my LHD, 4 cylinder 109 as a RHD, 6 cylinder model; possible explanations? Is it possible the original engine was swapped out in favo of a 4 cylinder and the truck co nverted to RHD?

Tom, calvin didn't read my number right either. not that it isn't a good resource, but i've found lrfaq to be a little bit more in-depth. check the link, and see if you can track down what it says about your rover.

http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FAQ.S.Chassis_Numbers.type.html

what are the first three of your numbers?

Tom Santoli
05-06-2008, 08:14 PM
My VIN is 94200377C; the site you referenced also identifies the truck as a 6 cylinder.

Thanks,

Tom

greenmeanie
05-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Conversion from the 6 cylinder are very common. It is certainly not a popular engine. Depending on what the owner wanted the 4 cyl was an easy swap or, in the US,chevy 6s are quite common. The RHD to LHD is quite possible but it is a lot of work. Have a look at the front cross member and see if there is any sign of a hole for a steering relay on the right. Also look at your bulkhead and see if the center panel is almost flush with the dash panel. If it has this deeper feature it is a six cyl bulkhead.

Cheers
Gregor

Les Parker
05-07-2008, 10:33 AM
I had a quick check with our data and come up with the same answer.
6 cyl, RHD, Export model.

Did this come off the data plate or off the RH chassis leg, just behind the bumper.
All Series Landrovers were stamped in this area.

Tom Santoli
05-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks again guys;

The VIN I've referenced came from the data plate; I'll look at the frame member though.

I'll check for the bulkhead depression and signs of conversion as well.

While under the truck last night I noticed a tapered tube like structure welded to the front axle housing, not the center housing but the axle tube. It appears to be some sort of protection device and seems substantial but I don't remember it on the last series III I was under. This thing is on the longer of the two axle tubes and is about 18 inches long.

Deciphering the history of a vehicle, mechanical and otherwise, is one of my favorite things to do when I first snag a vehicle like this.

Tom

lrdukdog
05-07-2008, 12:32 PM
While under the truck last night I noticed a tapered tube like structure welded to the front axle housing, not the center housing but the axle tube.

This is the HD axle casing (usually MOD) at least that was the case when I changed my old bent one for a new MOD.
Jim Wolf
Elvenwood Kennel