PDA

View Full Version : Shift Lever Locating Pin Size?

SafeAirOne
05-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Anyone know the thread pitch for the locating pin on the Series III shift lever? It's the little set screw that goes in the shift lever base. It fits into the groove on the shift lever pivot ball and prevents the lever from swiveling around as you change gears. (see photo, below).

This is the 2nd time mine has fallen out and yes, next time I'll put some loctite on the pin threads and some grease on the shifter ball so it'll stop unscrewing the pin when I shift.

I'll eventually get a proper replacement pin, but I hate to order only one tiny, cheap item on my credit card, so I want to put a correctly-threaded screw in until I build up a decent order.

While I'm posting--Does anyone know what direction the locating pin should be facing? Mine faces to the right (as you sit in the rover). I have a 73 right hand drive 6 cylinder body/shift lever and when I shift into 1st, 3rd and reverse, the shift lever is VERY close to the dashboard tray. It actually used to touch the dashboard before I ordered a new shift lever. If the pin was to face to the rear, the bend in the shift lever would be perfect, so I'm wondering if it should have been facing the rear in the first place.

WILLYSMB
05-07-2008, 01:11 PM
I have one on my 1972 LHD series 3, the pin sits on the right side of the shift ball housing. The key too keeping the screw in, is to pean the threads so it can't back itself out, that is what the repair manual for my truck said to do. And a little loctite is not bad either. Also your housing threading my be stripped and this may be why the screw is not staying put. My housing was stripped after years of being in different hands, so i just ordered a new housing and screw. I still have to put it on:D right now I have a bolt in the hole with the rubber gromet holding the bolt in place, it works. Just get alittle bigger bolt then the hole and screw it in.

Mart

SafeAirOne
05-07-2008, 03:19 PM
I have one on my 1972 LHD series 3, the pin sits on the right side of the shift ball housing. The key too keeping the screw in, is to pean the threads so it can't back itself out, that is what the repair manual for my truck said to do.
Mart

I never consider consulting the workshop manuals to install something as rudimentary as a shift lever locating pin. Perhaps I should start.

It makes sense--just give the housing a little "ding" after installing the pin. Thanks for letting me know your pin is on the right side too.