PDA

View Full Version : Series IIA will not crank

pholley2440
05-07-2008, 08:31 AM
I have a Series IIa and I am having trouble starting it. The starter motor turns when I hit the ignition but will not crank the motor I kust hear a spining noise under the hood. Any suggestions? I took the starter to Advanced auto and it seemed to be working. Thanks for the help!

Paul

jp-
05-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Two things. Sometimes the starter motors get stuck and the gear fails to kick out when they spin. This will sound like a loud whirring noise, but it should be obvious that the motor is not turning over.

If however, the gear on the starter is moving into the engagement point when you spin it over, then the teeth on the flywheel (or the gear itself) may be in bad shape.

Inspect the teeth on the ring gear of the flywheel with the starter out. Or, try this, turn the engine about 30 degs with a wrench or with the hand crank and then try the starter. If it starts, you have a couple of bad teeth on the ring gear.

thixon
05-07-2008, 09:58 AM
If its the starter shaft failing to kick out and engage the flywheel, you can sometimes tap the starter with a hammer, while someone cranks for you.