PDA

View Full Version : Series Steering Box spring cleaning

VTRover
05-07-2008, 03:27 PM
One area on a Series truck that is easy to miss is the steering box. The steering box is located in the left front wheel well. The box itself is hidden under a protective metal cover that is secured with three bolts. Under the metal cover you will find the steering box. The steering box itself is mounted to the frame. If you have never taken the protective cover off you are in for a serious treat! Mine was filled with an accumulation of horrible bits of gawk from the last 48 years. I had to do a bit of de-greasing to see the steering box. My mounting bolts were completely loose and needed a good tightening. My steering response is improved nicely.
I’d recommend this preventative maintenance to anyone going through their Series for summer adventures.

Tim Smith
05-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Good advice.

I've found my own steering box mounts to be loose from the frame and bulkhead mounting which resulted in sloppy steering response and acceleration on left hand turns (decel on right). It was a silly thing but once identified and tightened, the steering actually became pretty tight and precise. Well for a 40 year old truck that is.

Oh yeah, and the drivers foot well stopped moving about.
:p