PDA

View Full Version : Vent Seals...Whats the difference?

sven
05-08-2008, 03:06 PM
I see bulkhead vent seals have a different part# for S2 versus S3. What is the actual difference?

LH Drive
05-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Been waiting for you to get an answer as I would also like to know. I keep passing up good deals on S2 vent seals thinking they will not fit my S3. Maybe there a bit longer or taller than other series vent covers. Must have redesigned the vents on the 3's since they added the plastic dash and had to locate the speedo over the drivers side.

I Leak Oil
05-11-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm not positive but I think the difference is the thickness. Not sure which one is thicker or thinner.....
Jason T.

jp-
05-12-2008, 09:17 AM
I have used the Defender style and the Series IIA style and they both suck. They are thick and hard to compress. You have to have someone push down on them from the outside to get them to latch closed, and be prepared to leave them closed for months. If there is a thinner version, that would be great.

I'm pretty sure the vent size remained the same all the way through the defender.

jac04
12-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Did anyone ever find out the answer to this question? In addition, the Series 3 Air Portable appears to have a different vent seal part number, MRC2913.

I tried to fit a set of S3 vent seals to the Lightweight. They seem to fit the same size opening, but the cross-section is too big to fit into the channel on the bulkhead. I wonder if the S2 seal would work better.

Anyone here ever fit new vent seals to a Lightweight? What did you use?

1961 109 WAGON
12-07-2008, 11:55 AM
are they still made from foam, or from a new rubber material??

Enigma
12-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Interestingly enough while I was ploughing snow ( - 20 c or about - 5 F) there was a draught coming through the vents. Temp in my series 2 Pu was about + 55 F. So I opened the vent and put in some home fiberglass insulation to reduce the draught. What a difference! Shortly thereafter the inside temp was 70 F and no draughts. The bulkhead in front of the defroster tubes was still cold so I am looking at adding some styrofoam type insulation to abut the bulkhead and separate it from the defroster tubes. I stll need to address the rear bulkhead behind the seats as there is only the metal separating inside from outside. Some insulations would help here.

Considering that it was - 20 C + wind chill to -30C the Kodiak heater got it to + 20 C inside. I had to remove my gloves, touque and jacket to remain comfortable.

Remember that I have a PU cab. A Station wagon 88 might not get as warm.

Cheers John