PDA

View Full Version : engine hesitation

pcrightler
05-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Just got a 97 Disco, and all is great, except, a hesitation while driving after about 15 miles, it seems to stumble but does not stall, I think this is fuel pump related, removed the pump to check and put back in. it starts great, drives locally great. maybe the pump is getting old and falters after warming up. Fuel filter changed, cleaned plugs, etc. .......Any ideas??????????

Les Parker
05-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Hello and welcome to the world of Discovery ownership.
Is your veh a manual or automatic?
Does this happen at all speeds? Or only around town on a constant speed, say around 35-40 MPH?
Please advise

pcrightler
05-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Disco is auto, and yesterday it failed, I think the fuel pump has left the building. Does anyone know where to but the LRT-19-009 ??? tool to remove the pump retaining ring???

pcrightler
05-21-2008, 10:50 AM
hesitation happened after warm up and speeds of 40-60, I did replace a worn vac hose at the fuel pressure regulator, but after yesterday's breakdown I now think it is the pump or pressure regulator. now it only turns over and does not start.

dublucky
06-08-2008, 08:34 PM
I am having the exact problem with my 97 disco at 30 mph. Sometimes it takes a long time to start.

ptschram
06-09-2008, 06:47 AM
One cannot know until one measures!

Get a fuel pressure guage and start at the fuel rail. If you do not have at least 30 psi, we have a problem, but then, we need to determine just what that problem is.

Is it the fuel pump? Relay? Inertia switch? Key switch? Bad ground? Corroder connector?

Gotta do some more testing before we risk denting the truck throwing parts toward it!:D

dublucky
06-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Pulled o2 sensor out to see if clogged cat. Car ran great. Put the O2 back in ran but unplugged. Had similar problems, but ran better than before.

ptschram
06-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Running with an oxygen sensor unpluged will result in the vehicle going into limp-home mode and it will run full rich on that bank (if not both banks).

skarvo
09-02-2008, 12:59 PM
:( :confused: I put in a K/N Air filter about a month and a half ago. Recently its started to hesitate on acceleration and somtimes stalls after i start it could that be the problem. and one more thing the exhaust smells gasey like it running to rich any help would be great thanks. Skarvo.