PDA

View Full Version : unusual instrument panel

sailtech
05-11-2008, 09:12 AM
The 1969 RHD IIa I'm restoring is my first Series LR, so I've been scouring the Internets for all the info I can find.

I haven't seen any pictures with an instrument panel like mine. Does anyone have any information about it? It mounts above the steering column.

Is this some aftermarket thing a PO installed?

Thanks.

Stuart

4flattires
05-11-2008, 10:01 AM
I sure appears to be a non-OE fabricated instrument housing.

1. Welded construction
2. Aftermarket tach (cant read the brand)

1969 OE would be a flat panel mounted in the center of the dash holding the two larger gauges.

Post a pic of the back side?

Jeff

sailtech
05-11-2008, 10:53 AM
The tach and speedo are Jaeger

sailtech
05-11-2008, 10:55 AM
here's the back of the instrument pod...

and here's what the center area of the dash currently looks like...

LH Drive
05-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Nice Jaeger tachometer. I need to find one like that for my Series LR. I don't know what it is. Some of us are just not satisfied with the stock location of parts. It's a Series IIA with the instrument pannel relocated over the steering wheel and I have a Series 3 that I would like to relocate the same gauges to the center like on a 2A. I wish I just had a 2A.

yorker
05-11-2008, 02:01 PM
I think I have one of those tachs- I used to take every gauge I could out of the British vehicles at the local U-Pull It when they'd have a $50 all you could carry day.

Donnie
05-12-2008, 09:24 PM
here's the back of the instrument pod...

and here's what the center area of the dash currently looks like...
Anyone have an opinion as to why the coil is in the cabin?????????????/

Momo
05-12-2008, 09:43 PM
coil's probably in the cabin to stay dry or something. Or maybe something else is mounted in its proper location?

Interesting gauge binnacle Sailtech. Are they easily read thru the steering wheel?

sailtech
05-12-2008, 09:56 PM
No problem with reading the gauges thru the wheel.

I've decided to keep this setup for now, and replace it with an original instrument panel when I find one at some point down the road.

Thanks for the input.