PDA

View Full Version : Someones looking for a quick profit

cachinfool
05-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Check this 1969 88 (http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/car/675575363.html) it was 6K less (http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/car/668889203.html)a week ago.
It's been on Craigslist for quite some time now it looks like the Tacoma Land Rover dealer bought and put it up for sale from a tiny little profit. They couldn't have done too much if any work on it as the two postings are only 5 days apart.

Bertha
05-12-2008, 01:55 PM
still about 9k to high

Hormel
05-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Catchinfool,
Good eye on catching that! I am in the area and saw both ads and never connected the two. The Craigslist posting has been running for a long time now, 6 months, maybe a year. It does look better in the dealership ad though.

Something about that spare looks funny, just not the right proportion of width to height. I like the use of the Land Rover carpet at the dealer.

Paul Rossmann
05-12-2008, 02:56 PM
I can't figure out where the "alloy wheels" are, not to mention the 5-speed?

thixon
05-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Maybe the dealership is selling on consignment, and thats his markup. Either way, it'll be a tough sell at the price(s) he's asking. By the way, the dealership ad lists the motor as "V8." Funny. Nice looking truck though. Its in better shape than mine!

Momo
05-12-2008, 09:54 PM
There are a handful of obscenely priced Series trucks on ebay right now. There's also an 88 in central america which has been reduced in price by like 20 thou. Wonder if it will sell this time?

Eric W S
05-13-2008, 07:52 AM
There are a handful of obscenely priced Series trucks on ebay right now. There's also an 88 in central america which has been reduced in price by like 20 thou. Wonder if it will sell this time?

The Costa Rican Rover! I like that truck. It appears to jhave hand made panels if you were to believe the ad. I wish I could do that!

I'll just say nice little truck. :thumb-up:

EwS

Jim-ME
05-13-2008, 04:10 PM
Either one of these trucks are worth whatever anyone will pay for them. Have you looked at the prices for Defenders lately? Most are priced above what they sold for new. IMHO it is time to quit crapping on others and let the market determine the value. It is that simple.
Jim

Momo
05-14-2008, 01:54 AM
Either one of these trucks are worth whatever anyone will pay for them. Have you looked at the prices for Defenders lately? Most are priced above what they sold for new. IMHO it is time to quit crapping on others and let the market determine the value. It is that simple.
Jim

Defenders have a different market for the most part so let's put that aside.

Jim, would you buy one at these prices? If so, what do you expect for your money?

Surely you don't believe that prices should be arbitrary. The classic car market has fluctuating values, but there are benchmarks. For example,
from an article on SportsCarMarket.com:

"The example offered here is a 1951 LHD export, model number 1613-2801, an example of the original specification produced from 1949–51. It is one of the earliest Land Rovers to be imported into North America and was found in Williams Lake, British Columbia, which is in the center of Canada’s westernmost province. A two-owner vehicle, it showed just 35,000 miles on the odometer. The aluminum panels were in remarkably good shape, in part due to large steel brush bars that had been welded to the front and rear frame members. What followed was an epic seven-year, $60,000 restoration (not including more than 1,000 hours of the owner’s time) that took place between 1997 and 2004. The vehicle retains its original engine, transmission, transfer case, and front axle. The fenders, bonnet, grill support, seat box, and rear box are also original. Three other early Series I Land Rovers were used as donor vehicles. This Land Rover comes with a period accessory Brockhouse trailer and a Coventry Climax fire pump.

This vehicle sold for $33,000 at the RM auction in Monterey, CA, on August 19, 2005."

That was the highest recorded price for a Series Land Rover in the database at the time.

For $30,000 I would therefore expect a flawless, factory correct Series Land Rover, preferably original and not restored. Not one without rust on the front axle and paint wear on the floorboards, loose hanging wiring in the cabin, wrong roof color, wrong body color for year, mismatched wheel paint, dents, road chips, wrong upholstery, etc. Which are all things I can see in pictures on ebay, not just minor imperpections.

You may disagree with the premise of the thread but we are entitled to the discussion. If someone wants to price a truck that high they are free to do so... and they ought to be able bear some scrutiny.

xsbowes
05-14-2008, 04:33 AM
For a '68 88" Nada lists the high retail value as $22k. Their definition of
High Retail Value
This vehicle would be in excellent condition overall. It could be a completely restored or an extremely well maintained original vehicle showing very minimal wear. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are not in need of reconditioning. The interior would be in excellent condition. Note: This value does not represent a "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle *.

Jim-ME
05-14-2008, 04:42 AM
Actually I am quite enjoying this entire thread and truthfully only said what I said to keep it alive. If either one of these Rovers sell for that kind of money then there will always be hope that my kids may be able to get back what I will have spent on mine :D .
Jim

Paul Rossmann
05-14-2008, 07:17 AM
It is amazing how much a Rover cost when you go to buy one, and how little they cost when you go to sell one. I would be curious what you guys think the Rover is question is worth.

I gave around $7k for an average truck, dropped about 4 or 5K more into it. I had it for sale at $9k, then decided to keep her because I didnt feel like I could replace her with an equal vehicle for that amount.

I've seen real junkers sell for between $9 -10K and one or two super fine trucks go for the same price. I can't figure it out ???

thixon
05-14-2008, 07:49 AM
Actually I am quite enjoying this entire thread and truthfully only said what I said to keep it alive. If either one of these Rovers sell for that kind of money then there will always be hope that my kids may be able to get back what I will have spent on mine :D .
Jim

Jim....you troll, you.

thixon
05-14-2008, 08:14 AM
It is amazing how much a Rover cost when you go to buy one, and how little they cost when you go to sell one. I would be curious what you guys think the Rover is question is worth.

I gave around $7k for an average truck, dropped about 4 or 5K more into it. I had it for sale at $9k, then decided to keep her because I didnt feel like I could replace her with an equal vehicle for that amount.

I've seen real junkers sell for between $9 -10K and one or two super fine trucks go for the same price. I can't figure it out ???

Paul,

What you said about "an equal vehicle" has been an issue for me everytime I've sold a truck. For me, a series rover doesn't fall into the show car category. When you build one up, (or a jeep, or scout, or a cruiser) it ends up being purpose built and fun to use and abuse. By the time you build it the way you want, you just cant sell it for what it would cost to replace it with something else thats equally equipped. You have too much time, effort, and money in it. For me, and most of my friends, when a truck gets sold, its usually because we're ready for another project. You take the loss, and have fun with the next heap that gets dragged home.

The funny thing with rovers is that you get a small group of people who still cling to that "collector car" way of looking at things. They may own an MG, Triumph, or even a jag, and one day decide to "aquire" a rover. My guess is, the owners of some of these high priced trucks are trying to catch one of these guys when he's got some cash burning a hole in his pocket.

There used to be a british car day at a place called Chateau Elan outside of Atlanta. All kinds of brit cars were displayed. I used to go quite a bit, and one year took the first rover I ever had. Far from original, and modified, by me, in a number of ways. A few rover owners from Atlanta showed, the types described above, and proceeded to pick mine apart. After ignoring them for about an hour, I finally let 'em know that they could stop wasting their energy on me, and that I did'nt care about owning a "correct" truck. They just did'nt understand why not. It made no sense to them at all. Those types will overpay all day long for something they percieve to be original and correct (in their minds, better). Small wiener syndrome I guess.

cachinfool
05-14-2008, 08:44 AM
My original observation was that the Land Rover dealer is trying to make a 6K for detailing a car they bought 5 days earlier. I'm sure that some one is going to walk into the dealership and have to have the cool looking old Rover.
I bought my LR3 from this dealership and have nothing against them they're in business to make money and they have to pay for those "free" cookies and Land Rover water they give out in the waiting room somehow don't they.
Of course the fact that their add lists the car as having a V8, 5 speed gearbox and alloy wheels doesn't help their cause any.

greenmeanie
05-14-2008, 08:54 AM
[quote=thixon]Paul,

For me, and most of my friends, when a truck gets sold, its usually because we're ready for another project. You take the loss, and have fun with the next heap that gets dragged home.

[quote]

Ah, that's where I go wrong. I keep forgetting to sell the old one before dragging a new heap home.

thixon
05-14-2008, 09:13 AM
[quote=thixon]Paul,

For me, and most of my friends, when a truck gets sold, its usually because we're ready for another project. You take the loss, and have fun with the next heap that gets dragged home.

[quote]

Ah, that's where I go wrong. I keep forgetting to sell the old one before dragging a new heap home.

Gregor,

I'm actually a bit envious. I wish I could get away with having more than one or two at a time. Sadly, alimony and child support would severly curb my car habit.

xsbowes
05-14-2008, 10:55 AM
We don't even know what the dealer ended up paying or if it was traded "down" for newer rover. He could be making $10k+

My original observation was that the Land Rover dealer is trying to make a 6K for detailing a car they bought 5 days earlier. I'm sure that some one is going to walk into the dealership and have to have the cool looking old Rover.

Jim-ME
05-14-2008, 11:38 AM
I still maintain that anything is worth what someone will pay for it. There are people out there that want that old car or Rover just because they want it. Money to them is no object. Look at Jay Leno. I have a friend who collects guns. If a gun doesn't cost over $2000 he won't even consider it. Most of us own Rovers because it is a sickness due to a previous ownership infection; saw one in the movies as a kid or just thought LRs were cool. If you listen to owners talk about their pride and joys and how much they break or cost of ownership why would anyone want one? I can only speak for myself. It's because they are unique, not everyone has one and most of the time I can fix it myself. OTOH if someone walked up to me on the street and offered big bucks cash for my current Rover it would be gone in a heartbeat. There are people out there that think something is really good only if it's really expensive because they are selfish, stupid, feel they are above the common man, and have more money than they know what to do with. There are people out there that will buy the Rovers that started this thread simply because they can. To the owners of those overs if that happens, more power to ya!

Momo
05-14-2008, 11:58 AM
've seen real junkers sell for between $9 -10K and one or two super fine trucks go for the same price. I can't figure it out ???

I think that's mainly uninformed buyers getting suckered. I paid far too much for my first Land Rover; I knew just enough about them to get into trouble.
It was an expensive lesson!

Hormel, you mentioned earlier the spare looks funny- it's because it's a modern radial and the bonnet isn't dished. The spare would have originally been in the load bed.

I don't know why people put a nice paint job on, but fail to mask off the galvanizing. It doesn't cost any more to do it properly....

Momo
05-14-2008, 12:10 PM
There are people out there that think something is really good only if it's really expensive...

Boy Jim, I couldn't agree more. The price point of a given product is as important as any other factor in the success of that product.

People perceive more value with the higher price. I doubt Starbucks would be as successful if their "coffees" retailed for a dollar less. There are cases where products have done poorly until the price was jacked up...then the product took off.

Undoubtedly someone will want one of these trucks as a prop for their polo grounds or to go with their Weimaraner pups and coach luggage set.

Jim-ME
05-14-2008, 06:20 PM
Mo,
Really glad that we are once again on the same page although I do love love to sir the pot once and a while.
Jim

Momo
05-15-2008, 01:01 AM
Hook up a PTO with a big wooden spoon on the propshaft and stir away...:D