PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Spacers for Series Rovers

SafeAirOne
05-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Today I got my 109 back on the road after a year-and-a-half (or two) bulkhead rebuild. I've been driving around a Nissan Sentra in the mean time, so I forgot that the Rover was as maneuverable as an ocean-going oil tanker. It took 2 tries to get her into my 1-lane driveway because I didn't begin the turn the requisite quarter-mile wide and a quarter-mile early.

Anyhow, I've often wondered if the aluminum wheel spacers our hosts advertise are compatible with the series trucks. I always seen them listed as Discovery-compatible, but never a mention of Series-compatibility. The NATO steel wheels I use fit both Vehicles, so I figure the spacers should work as well. Am I wrong?

If they are compatible, what will the consequences of using wheel spacers be on a Series Rover? I THINK that the wheel bearings and hubs should be able to take the extra load, but this is strictly a WAG.

wooday
10-29-2008, 12:53 AM
I'm interested in doing the same thing Mark - did you ever get a reply?
Or did you try it?

TSR53
10-29-2008, 06:14 AM
Our wheel spacers are listed for the Series III.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/images/Product/large/RNWS001.JPG
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-648-wheel-spacers.aspx

note: earlier Series vehicles can be adapted to allow wheel spacers, I'll have Les chime in to confirm what is involved to fit.

SafeAirOne
10-29-2008, 06:54 AM
I'm interested in doing the same thing Mark - did you ever get a reply?
Or did you try it?

No--After using the NATO steel rims for a while, I think my track width is where I want it to be.

By coincidence, last night I was looking for a price on a SIII steering wheel on the RN website and came across the wheel spacers--The description of the spacers has changed and indicates that it might work on series trucks, just like Thompson has indicated. I'm still curious, though.

Edit: After re-reading Thompson's post, I'm getting the impression that the spacers WILL work on a Series III and may work, with modification, on Series IIA & II (presumably due to wheel stud size issues??). Is this right?

109 Pretender
10-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Safe,
I am using spacers on my 109 - wheel bearings are vlarge because of the full floater axles/stub flange setup. I used to worry about spacers and thought they were the 'cheap' way to increase track - and they are! I once had a pristine Porsche 930. Porsche used 3" spacers on the rear axles for the turbo/wide body carrera's. Those wheel bearings were nowhere as big as the Rover ones - so now I don't worry at all. The spacers will probably be set for the 14mm wheel studs - mine were. If you have the early 15/16 lug nuts like I had, use old nuts to affix the spacer to hub - then new lug nuts will be the 1 1/16 nut size. This mod allows a much tighter turning circle on the 109.
cheers!

Les Parker
10-29-2008, 12:34 PM
I tried these spacers on the Air Portable and was not content with the result.
The spacer did not appear to sit fully on the hub, causing me concern.
Went with Discovery I steel wheels (7J X 16) which looks better (in my opinion) and gives just as wide a stance and I feel safer.

2p

Leslie
10-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Les,

Are the hubs on the Lightweight identical to normal SIII hubs?

I've got the Disco steel wheels on my Series, which I'm fully happy w/, but the wheel's thicker, to the point that no lug extends beyond the lug nut... it's close to flush w/ the end of the threads on the nut, but just a bit to the inside of, such that you can see just a bit of the thread of the inside of the nut crowning above the end of the lug.

I thought about ordering a set of lugs, if I could find some a little longer, and swapping them. I don't think it's *needed*, but, had crossed my mind. But, I had also considered a spacer set as such, hoping that it's lugs might be a bit longer, so I would prevent any problem, and perhaps help the turning radius a hair more...... but, I really don't want to come out, what, 30mm is 1.18 inches..... a 10, 15, or 20mm spacer is all that I would want, no more than..... and I've never seen one that's less than your 30mm.....

Les Parker
10-29-2008, 02:44 PM
Leslie,

Mine has the later hubs, though I think the face of them is the same, as are the wheels studs. There's enough thread inside the wheel nut not to cause me concern, its only indented by 1 thread, so there's less to get (c)rusty and make removal (due to built up metal to air to road dirt) more difficult.

Terrys
10-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Wheel spacers are only going to decrease your turning radius IF, by moving them out further, you are allowed to turn the wheels further towards the frame (and away on the opposite side). The limiting factor becomes whether the steering gearbox will crank them further, without rubbing. Some Landies have stops, others do not. My 109 has no stops, and the furthest travel of the wheel, lock to lock, doesn't cause the tires (235x85) to approach rubbing the frame; it's limited by the fullest travel of the steering gear.

SafeAirOne
10-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Safe,
I am using spacers on my 109

That's funny--When you first posted pics of your rover, I noticed that the rear wheel/hub looked strange---Somehow the hub looked rover but didn't stick out enough. I meant to ask you about what axle you are using, but got distracted and never asked. I'm easliy distra.......

wooday
10-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Is there any risk that the Series III wheel studs may not be able to handle the added stress from a 30mm wheel spacer?

CliftonRover
10-30-2008, 02:42 AM
the series wheel studs are more than strong enough.

mrdoiron
11-01-2010, 12:35 PM
the series wheel studs are more than strong enough.
The spacers listed on the RN site seem expensive at $429... wondering if anyone saw cheaper / compatible options anywhere ?

thx